Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Gloag's Perth Whisky < 1898

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Gloag's Perth Whisky < 1898

Postby Pipe and dram » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:22 pm

I came across a case of Gloag's Perth Whisky - over 100 years old since the name was changed sometime late in the 1900's. The wooden case is in mint condition (with the grouse stencilled) and it contains 6 intact bottles of Gloag's Perth Whisky - still in the packing straw.

Anyone have any idea how much this might be worth.

Slainte

Pipe and Dram
Pipe and dram

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:42 pm

At a guess, I would say it would be worth a serious amount of money. You might talk to McTear's the auctioneers.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:23 pm

Yes, you've stumbled on a small gold mine, after Mcteers you might try the Whisky Exchange, sell 4 and keep one to drink and one to have to gaze at, a bit of cash in the attic, so to speak.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby richard » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:55 pm

hi pipe and dram any chance of a photo to look at and mctears is a good idea as well as keeping two one for drinking and one to look at as lawrence said

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Pipe and dram » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:38 pm

The case belongs to a local pub owner - he actually was not that interested in talking to me about it for some reason. I will contact him again to see if I can take a photo of the box with the serial number that is stencilled on the outside. He told me he undid two of the nails to check inside and there were six unopened bottles in the original packing straw. It would be nice to have an idea of what it is worth so I can approach him to show him I am serious about getting more information

Does anyone know how to contact McTears?

Thanks

Ps I have an old Gloags Perth Whisky box that the famous grouse experiecne was interested in getting for their display - however it is not in good condition and did not contain any whisky. This is why I recognized this box when I saw it.
Pipe and dram

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:44 pm

Where, may I ask, is this pub? (I understand if you are reluctant to say.)

By the way, P&D, Joe Howell says hi. (It occurs to me that we should call him Thirstin' Howell III from now on.) Finally had a chance to chat with him about Islay.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:25 pm

There is contact information on their website at http://www.mctears.co.uk/
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:21 am

If the whisky is worth as much as I think it may be, it would be almost criminal to drink a bottle yourself - potentially a full bottle might be worth turning into miniatures or blending as with SS Politician and you might try some during this process. Just my own thoughts and I know others will disagree...
Deactivated Member

Postby Pipe and dram » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:13 pm

Thanks - i have sent a note to McTears.

The pub is in Canada - but it is not on display or anything, fact is I am not sure what he is doing with it!!

Say hello to Thirstin Howell III
Pipe and dram

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder