Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Appraisals and Collectors

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Appraisals and Collectors

Postby msgatzp » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:02 am

My recently deceased father had a collection of old scotch whiskies (and bourbons). We have about 45 bottles of still sealed scotches (Old Judge, Red Hackle, Martin's Old Worthy, Grand Old Parr are some of the names). My mother purchased many of them in the early 1950's, and the labels state that some of them were 25 to 30 years old then. We are interested in selling the collection, but we don't really have a starting point, and we really don't know much about scotch (sorry!). I have read on these forums that bottles sell individually. Is there such a thing as a collector that might be interested in appraising our inventory and purchasing the collection? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
msgatzp

Postby Aidan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:36 am

Hi

McTears will sell them for you if you wish. They'll also value them for you.

You could sell them individually on eBay... or there's http://www.whiskyauction.com
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:10 am

From what I have seen of ebay, the currently fashionable brands can sell for more than you'd pay in the shops, but the lesser known brands can go very cheaply or fail to sell at all if they have a reserve or starting bid. Since some of these bottles are long forgotten brands their value should be enhanced but the likelihood of selling on ebay would be reduced.

Probably.
Deactivated Member

Postby DaveM » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:32 pm

msgatzp, it would be helpful to know where you are from!
DaveM

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder