Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Still-packaged pre-1940s Tennessee whisky

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Still-packaged pre-1940s Tennessee whisky

Postby levyjeff » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:11 pm

Hello, I'm looking for information on a bottle of whisky that we're also looking to sell. I've noticed a lot of posters of other similar questions were directed to McTears, so I'll make sure to contact them also.

It's called Tennessee Walking Horse, bottled by the Tennessee Walker Distillery Company in Turkey Creek, Moore County, Tenn. It's labeled as 4/5 quart blended whisky, 85.6 proof. It is full, still sealed in its original rice paper wrapping, and has the original box. Unfortunately there are no dates on anything I can find.

It has been hard to find information on it, since there are thousands of links on the internet for the actual Tennessee Walking horses. Also, searching for anything related to "tennessee" and "whisky" doesn't exactly narrow down the number of hits I get. Some tenative information indicates that the distillery itself closed sometime in the 1940's, and that the bottle could potentially be as old as the U.S. prohibition era.

I have digital pictures of the wrapped bottle and all four sides of the box, but they are not posted on the internet anywhere yet. If anyone wants to get a look go ahead and post, and I'll be happy to email them to you.

Thanks,
Jeff
levyjeff

Postby MGillespie » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:16 pm

Jeff:

Have you posted this on some of the bourbon-related web sites? There might be some experts on those sites who would be able to help...also, it might be worth making a call to the library in Moore County to see what they might have in their reference materials.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Moore County, Tennessee

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:47 pm

MGillespie wrote:Jeff:

...it might be worth making a call to the library in Moore County to see what they might have in their reference materials.

:lol: Sorry -- not laughing at you, because unless you live in these parts, you can't know how incongruous that is.
Moore County, despite having a 'metropolitan' government combining the services of the county/City of Lynchburg, has a total population of just 5,740 souls. It is served by the Highland Rim Regional Library, a multi-county facility that consists, in large part, of a converted bus-cum-traveling library. There well may be a dedicated "Moore County Library" location in Lynchburg, but it probably doesn't have a full-time staff, and serves only as a home-base facility for the regional library when it's in town.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:01 pm

Tim:

I understand the backwoods nature of Moore County, believe me...but even the ass-backwards redneck-infested cesspool I lived in in southern Indiana had a county library. Perhaps the local historical society or even the Jack Daniels historians might have some clues...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder