Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Flora And Fauna

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Flora And Fauna

Postby Barrie » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:17 pm

:shock:

Hi treat me gently this is my first time?. I am trying to put together a full collection of the flora and fauna Range, it's taken five years so far ( I keep getting side traked ) . I was lucky to find an Aultmore in Creiff this summer Just collecting dust and waiting for me. I now only need an Aberfeldy,Royal Brackla, a Craigellachie and a Speyburn. Most of these older bottles have come from old grocers shops in smaller out of the way places so I just wanted to shout for the small independants and urge all collectors to keep trawling.

Any people out their spot any of these I would be pleased to hear from them

Cheers

Barrie
Last edited by Barrie on Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:13 pm

Barrie, have you tried Loch Fyne Whiskies? They buy collections so somethimes unusual bottlings come on the market but you have to ask.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:13 pm

Welcome, Barrie...we won't start hazing you for a few weeks... ;)

I'd echo the Loch Fyne Whiskies suggestion...also, there are some other specialty retailers and auction sites in the back of each issue of WM...they might be able to help as well...

Admirable goal...good luck!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

whisky

Postby richard » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:03 pm

hi barrie looking at your list you area after the hardest ones to get as well as the most expensive try the whisky exchange

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Barrie » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:47 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for your advice. I do regularly trawl web sites and shops but its hard to be there at just the right time. just thought that Many eyes are better than two.

Cheers

Barrie
Barrie

Postby Scotty Mc » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:33 pm

Maybe if you were to give us a list Barrie, and maybe we could help in finding the bottlings that you don't have.

ps. Welcome aboard matey :wink:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby susywong » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:26 am

Hi,

Try Fiona Murdoch at the Whisky Shop in Dufftown, she bought a collection a while back that had flaura and fauna bottles in it, but not sure which ones! http://www.whiskyshopdufftown.co.uk

Cheers
Susan
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:48 am

You should have been at the Whisktyauction at this autumn's whiskyfestival i Dufftown. A lot of F&F bottles (with the original boxes) were on sale, and one complete collection (22 boxes).

The whole collection went for £1500, while the singles went for £45 and upwards.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:32 pm

Hello all whisky lovers!

First message from a new member and it had to be a correction on another post...sorry!
First of all a complete collection of the Flora & Fauna range contains no more than 35 different bottlings of which 9 are limited Cask Strength Editions.
The normal 43% bottlings also have been available in limited wooden box editions of which several are very hard to find today.
My best advice to get a hold of these bottlings would be eBay, Whisky Auction (Germany) or (as already stated) at the Whisky Shop in Dufftown (Fiona Murdoch). When I last visited Fiona she had at least 7-8 different wooden box editions.
You can also try The Whisky Exchange. They have around 20 different bottlings in stock.
The Cask Strength Editions normally fetch around 100 euros or more at auctions.
Mortlach seems to be the most expensive and in the last auctions it has gone for around 400 Euros.
Aultmore and Speyburn are also amongst the most sought after and get often receive high bids at auctions.
There are also rumours that several of the F&F bottling are to be discontinued so try and get a hold of them while you can.

Cheers and happy hunting!

Anders
Mr Ellen
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:13 pm

Welcome, Anders...thanks for sharing your information.

Hope that helps, Barrie!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:01 pm

I saw a large number of F&F offering in La Maison du Whisky in Paris also..........
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:32 pm

The bottles auctioned off in Dufftown was from the first original series, back when every single bottle came in a wooden box. But then sales started taking off and they dropped the wooden boxes (prices remained the same though) in favour of cardboard boxes, and now nothing.

But as Susan says, give Fiona Murdoch a ring, if she hasn't got them in stock she'll get them (if possible).
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Barrie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:18 pm

Hi Guys,

I'll try the whisky shop in Dufftown, I've been there before although It was a few years ago now and it had a good range then. I am not collecting the C/S expressions at this time although I have got an Aberfeldy C/S, It was bought more because I couldn't find the normal release of F+F than anything else. By my reckoning this is the full list of ordinary strength F+F's that have been released :-

Aberfeldy :(
Aultmore
Balmenach
Benrinnes
Bladnoch
Blair Athol
Royal Brackla :(
Coal Ila
Clynelish
Craigellachie :(
Dailuaine
Dufftown
Glendullan
Glenlossie
Inchgower
Linkwood
Mannochmore
Mortlach
Pittyvaich
Rosebank
Teaninich
Speyburn :(
Glen Spey
Glen Elgin
Strathmill
Auchroisk

I'd be Interested if anybody Knows of any others. As for cask strength expressions I was aware of the following releases :-

Aberfeldy C/S 17 Y.o.
Aultmore C/S 1983.
Blair Athol C/S 1981.
Caol Ila C/S 1981.
Dailuaine C/S 1980.
Linkwood C/S 1983.
Rosebank C/S 1981.
Mortlach C/S 1980.

That makes 26 Flora and Fauna Ordinary Strength and 8 Cask Strength so It appears I'm one short ?
Of those above as in my initial posting, I am Looking for just 4 to complete my collection those being :-

Aberfeldy
Royal Brackla
Craigellachie
Speyburn

It is quite correct that initial releases where in wooden boxes then all those changed to cardboard. I was led to believe after a while to save money only those destined for the export market remained in cardboard boxes and then finally the whole range became available without boxes. About half of the range is still available as current releases and therefore you should not be paying to high a price for these. and yes there is still from time to time the odd gem in a slower selling store. However it very much seems to be a matter of being in the right place at the right time I have picked up a few of the ones in my collection from stores selling on other peoples collections which is good but rare. People on ebay, god love it(them), tend to be selling the slightly hard to find but not impossible at a large mark up so to coin a phrase " Be careful out there" although that should be " be cheerful out there" good luck and thanks for reading

Barrie.
Barrie

Postby dethus » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:49 am

Hello Barrie,

the your list of ordinary strength FFs is complete, an additional fact is, that
- Glen Spey
- Glen Elgin
- Strathmill
- Auchroisk
have been released years after the first 22 bottlings. For those 4 bottlings, (afaik) neither cardboxes nor wooden boxes came/come with the bottles.

Your cask strength list is lacking one bottling:
Clynelish 1982-1997, 57.7°

Cheers,
Dethus
dethus

Postby Barrie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:58 am

Thanks Dethus,

I missed that one. It appears to have dissappeared from the latest version of M.J 's Malt Whisky Companion. But you are quite right I have back tracked and It is mentioned in version 4.

Cheers Barrie
Barrie

Postby kiltrock68 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:57 pm

There are some more bottlings of the Flora + Fauna Series:

Clynelish 1982/97 57,7% cask strength

and 3 Miniatures of 5cl:

Aberfeldy 15y
Blair Athol 12y
Clynelish 14y
kiltrock68

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder