Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A good find

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

A good find

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 15, 2002 11:36 pm

As a newcomer to whisky I recently purchased the Macallan ESC II .Upon receiving said bottle I was intrigued to see if I could find the first bottling. Some emails later I found most people wanted £240 .Anyway, on my trip to WhiskyLIve I visited Milroys where I bought his last bottle for a mere £115 .Does anyone else have stories of lucky finds?
cheers all
Deactivated Member

Postby St.Peat » Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:32 am

Hello, Hairball --

(nice moniker) Image

Well, you are now a certified FoaFer. You have found what others have thought was unfindable, *and* you have purchased it. Good going! You catch on quickly.

Happy hunting!
St.Peat
Bronze Member

World of Whiskies, Stansted Airport

Postby Pete Lewis » Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:45 pm

Recently the extension to the main terminal opened, and with it a brand new whiskey shop. We have a wide range of whiskies of many varities and locations. There is one we have which is a Bowmore 40yo, and is retailing at £3500.
I was just wondering whether or not this is a correct valuation, or whether it needs to be changed.

Hope someone can help
Pete Lewis
P.s. Pop in when you are passing through!
Pete Lewis

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:01 pm

I could be naughty and say you have added a zero too many,but I used to be in the Brownies.From websites I have visited prices range from £3600 - £4000
cheers
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:30 pm

Hi Pete. It's very honest and brave of you to admit that at World of Whiskies you do not know the "correct" valuation of a bottle which has already been priced and placed on sale there.

If hairball and others said it was only worth £350, would you really have followed their advice and knocked off that second 0?

Or were you just trying to get a cheap wee plug for the shop :-)
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:35 pm

Pete,

The normal retail price of the 40Y old Bowmore lies at 4000 GBP(Bowmore sells it too for 4000 GBP at the distillery).
3500 GBP is a bargin compared with the rest, in the otherhand some good old competition couldn't hurt one another.

Slainte,

Erik

P.S. If I have to fly in the nearby future via Stanstead Airport(probably Easyjet) I'll certainly drop by.....
Deactivated Member

Postby Pete Lewis » Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:04 pm

Iain, I am not a regular worker in WOW, but I work in the Duty Free shop next door. I didn't really make that very clear did I?:-)
I wasn't asking whether or not the price was correct, as head office decide that, and they obviously base it on their research. The point I was implying, mainly as a casual interest in Whisky, was what sort of prices does this kind of whisky normally retail at? I am not being brave, just a curious newbie to the world of whisk(e)y.
and in response to your last bit, nah wasn't a cheap plug! honest!;-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iain:
<B>Hi Pete. It's very honest and brave of you to admit that at World of Whiskies you do not know the "correct" valuation of a bottle which has already been priced and placed on sale there.

If hairball and others said it was only worth £350, would you really have followed their advice and knocked off that second 0?

Or were you just trying to get a cheap wee plug for the shop :-)</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pete Lewis

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder