Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glendronach 8yrs old, dumpy bottle, 70% Proof

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Glendronach 8yrs old, dumpy bottle, 70% Proof

Postby Richard Bastow » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:29 am

Hi,

Whilst clearing out one of my Grandma's cupboards I came across an unopned bottle of the above. It is still in its box, has a cork with the foil and swing ticket attached. I have spoken with the distillery and they appear to have no records of it. It is not one of the bottles produced in 1976 though! It has a paper label with a picture of the distillery on it. The distillery think it may date back to 1960's when WM Teacher acquired the business.

Any information would be appreciates.

Regards,

Richard Bastow
Richard Bastow

Postby Richard Bastow » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:04 am

Nearly the same, but mine is not an export bottle and is 70% proof.
Richard Bastow

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:13 pm

What does 70 proof work out to in the British system? In the US, that would be 35%.
Deactivated Member

Postby old rarity » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:08 pm

Under the former Sykes hydrometer system, abandoned by UK for beverage alcohol measurement in 1980 to align with EU metrology, 70 proof was equal to U.S. 80 proof, that is, 40% ABV (Gay Lussac system). Sykes assigned 100 proof to a proven spirit, one mixed with gunpowder that burned (both powder and spirit) when set alight, which occurred most satisfactorily at 57.1% ABV. 175 proof was 100% pure alcohol (200 U.S. proof). Anything over 100 proof Sykes was "overproof", anything under, "underproof". 70 proof was 30 underproof.

Gary
old rarity

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:02 pm

Thanks--very well explained. I might even remember it!
Deactivated Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder