Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

do i have a lost treasure

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

World of Whiskies, Stansted Airport

Postby Pete Lewis » Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:45 pm

Recently the extension to the main terminal opened, and with it a brand new whiskey shop. We have a wide range of whiskies of many varities and locations. There is one we have which is a Bowmore 40yo, and is retailing at £3500.
I was just wondering whether or not this is a correct valuation, or whether it needs to be changed.

Hope someone can help
Pete Lewis
P.s. Pop in when you are passing through!
Pete Lewis

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:01 pm

I could be naughty and say you have added a zero too many,but I used to be in the Brownies.From websites I have visited prices range from £3600 - £4000
cheers
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:30 pm

Hi Pete. It's very honest and brave of you to admit that at World of Whiskies you do not know the "correct" valuation of a bottle which has already been priced and placed on sale there.

If hairball and others said it was only worth £350, would you really have followed their advice and knocked off that second 0?

Or were you just trying to get a cheap wee plug for the shop :-)
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:35 pm

Pete,

The normal retail price of the 40Y old Bowmore lies at 4000 GBP(Bowmore sells it too for 4000 GBP at the distillery).
3500 GBP is a bargin compared with the rest, in the otherhand some good old competition couldn't hurt one another.

Slainte,

Erik

P.S. If I have to fly in the nearby future via Stanstead Airport(probably Easyjet) I'll certainly drop by.....
Deactivated Member

Postby Pete Lewis » Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:04 pm

Iain, I am not a regular worker in WOW, but I work in the Duty Free shop next door. I didn't really make that very clear did I?:-)
I wasn't asking whether or not the price was correct, as head office decide that, and they obviously base it on their research. The point I was implying, mainly as a casual interest in Whisky, was what sort of prices does this kind of whisky normally retail at? I am not being brave, just a curious newbie to the world of whisk(e)y.
and in response to your last bit, nah wasn't a cheap plug! honest!;-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iain:
<B>Hi Pete. It's very honest and brave of you to admit that at World of Whiskies you do not know the "correct" valuation of a bottle which has already been priced and placed on sale there.

If hairball and others said it was only worth £350, would you really have followed their advice and knocked off that second 0?

Or were you just trying to get a cheap wee plug for the shop :-)</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pete Lewis

do i have a lost treasure

Postby youngdave » Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:31 pm

I have recently been given a bottle of haig dimple. still in the box.marked (i think it is the date) 7/7/18. The bottle is unwired as i believe it was in the early years. Can anybody tell what it is worth.
youngdave

Postby stuart783 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:52 pm

I also have a bottle of haigs dimple, still in the box, mint conditon dating around 1918. Any body know what it is worth?
stuart783

bowmore 40

Postby DENIS » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:02 am

average price £4500
you will be very lucky to buy it under this value due to the cost price
DENIS

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder