Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

do i have a lost treasure

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

40yr old Bowmore stolen - again!

Postby Ileach » Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:55 pm

Remember when some years ago a bottle of 40yr old Bowmore was stolen in Canada?

Well, it seems this can happen in Europe, too.

Read the following mail from a friend of mine from the whisky shop at Copenhagen Airport:

The night between Sunday and Monday, we lost the 40 y.o. Bowmore decanter from our shop (whisky World) at the airport of Copenhagen.

I havent got a photo.
But it is in a great woodenbox and have no 130 of only 306 bottles.

If anyone hear or see anything please contact me.

Whisky Consulting
Martin Markvardsen
Jacob Appels Allé 77
2770 Kastrup
Denmark http://whiskyconsult.homepage.dk
whiskyconsult@email.dk
0045 32511270
0045 26711270
Ileach

Postby Iain » Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:34 pm

Pathetic marketing department "bottle stolen" story scam again!

Shame on you, unimaginative Bowmore marketeers.

Over-rated over-priced malt, twenty years past its best, sold on sad sensationalism.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby St.Peat » Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:03 pm

Hi, Iain -- seems someone is having a sale! Are you serious about the marketing hype bit? I wondered how a person wouldn't have a photo of their 'prize' when I asked. Also, doesn't the industry usually insure against such loss? Hmmm ...

Take a look -- Mark.

Bowmore 40 Year Islay Scotch
rws24677Regular price: $9,500.00Sale price: $6,799.00 http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/rws24677.htm

And, there is a supposed article about this gem, at http://www.single-malt.com/bowmac.htm
Here's a snippet which seems to claim a different total bottle yield than the one Martin mentions:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>The Bowmore 40, produced by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, is
even rarer. Just 294 bottles were produced, said Anne Riives, who
handles the company's public relations in New York.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby St.Peat » Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:13 pm

Here's that photo I was looking for. Sorry it's all I found ... it looks quite tasty! Image
St.Peat
Bronze Member

do i have a lost treasure

Postby youngdave » Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:31 pm

I have recently been given a bottle of haig dimple. still in the box.marked (i think it is the date) 7/7/18. The bottle is unwired as i believe it was in the early years. Can anybody tell what it is worth.
youngdave

Postby Iain » Thu Apr 04, 2002 4:09 am

Sorry Ileach and St P - didn't mean to sound so grouchy. But it looks a like another plant to me. (and I don't mean a rhodedendron ;-)
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Ileach » Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:32 am

I do not believe this story is one for the gardening department, Iain.

I have known Martin for a couple of years now. He is a highly dedicated whisky enthusiast (Whisky Magazine malt master finalist in 2000) working at this little malt shop at CPH airport.

He does not own the shop nor is he affiliated with Bowmore (nor am I, just by the way).

There is no reason why he should invent the story, either on his or on Bowmores behalf.

In fact, isn't it quite embarrassing having to admit that someone could enter the duty free zone of an international airport and steal a valuable item from a shop without being caught or at least seen?

About the photo, St. Peat: I know of some museums which could not hand the police a picture of a stolen painting worth much more than just a few thousand bucks.

And getting the numbers wrong is understandable, considering the circumstances.

Of course the bottle is insured, but that's not the point.

We should keep our eyes and ears open and if we ever come across bottle #130 of a 40-yr old Bowmore (on ebay, for example)we know it's stolen.

It's as simple as that.
Ileach

Postby jonno » Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:18 pm

Hello Chaps,

Having found a handy book 'Whisky Talk' I can impart the following; There are 306 bottles of the Bowmore 40 year old. 294 were released to retailers and 12 kept back at Bowmore, 10 of which are available for tasting if you have bought a bottle! And can get to Islay. The book also says the whisky was bought by a private individual in 1955 and kept for 20 years when it was to be bottled. However the unfortunate chap had died so the distillery bought it off the estate and decanted it into another cask. (bourbon, it was originally in oloroso) for another 20 years. Hence it could really be labelled as a double matured malt!!! So i guess Bowmore marketing department have missed a trick there!

Ciao
jonno

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder