Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Crown Royal unopen 1966 bottle

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Crown Royal unopen 1966 bottle

Postby CrazyMac » Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:30 pm

I found a bottle of 1966 Crown Royal Whiskey unopened with all seals intact. Still in the bag and box. The bottle and bag looks brand new. Box is showing its age. The funny thing is that I didn't know what I had. I was about to drink it with some friends when one of my friends who loves Crown Royal started to look at the bottle. He said the bottle does not look right. After taking a long look at the bottle we found out that it was old. We had to drink something else that night. I have no idea what its worth. Can someone help me find out?

[This message has been edited by CrazyMac (edited 19 January 2003).]
CrazyMac

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:33 pm

CrazyMac - while I'm not up on Crown Royal, being Canadian I feel compelled to offer what I can, albeit Canadian advice is valued at about a 35% discount to US advice.

CR was introduced to the US in 1965 - so you may have something of a rarity on your hands. Crown Royal has a web site and a society that may be of real help: www.crownroyal.com/home.php

Otherwise might I suggest getting in touch with Edgar Bronfman Jr. (of the Seagram Bronfmans) to see if he might have a sentimental interest. He might have a few real (read: US$'s) lying around if he sells that New York home of his - listed at $40 million US.

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby whiskyjack7 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:53 pm

do you still have the bottle
is in a blend or is it rye whisky
the rye is pure rye and very rare.
came in bag and box also
box and bottle will say rye whisky
but not the bag
whiskyjack7

Postby old rarity » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:08 am

Crown Royal has been a blended whisky since its inception in 1939. It is a luxury blend, but a blend nonetheless (i.e., of genuine but high proof whiskies and flavouring whiskies such as genuine bourbon and rye-type whiskies. I believe about 25% of the blend is composed of the latter). Crown Royal as made in 1966 would be interesting in the sense that it probably tastes somewhat different to today's CR - all brands evolve in flavour over time - but we are not talking about rye whisky in the sense that, say, Wild Turkey Straight Rye Whiskey is a genuine rye, or in the sense that the (Canadian) Lot 40 is a genuine rye whisky. Speaking of which, I haven't seen Lot 40 at the LCBO lately, I hope it hasn't been withdrawn..
old rarity

Postby whiskyjack7 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:32 pm

yes yes crown royal is a rye whisky only rye is used.
I was talking about the label only
does it said rye as some labeling the 1960
I understand did or does it say blended?
the back label may tell you the ages used
some cr used as old as 35 years rye
whiskyjack7

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder