Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Garry Blended Scotch Whisky question.

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Glen Garry Blended Scotch Whisky question.

Postby flashmc » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:53 pm

My great-grandfather bought a case of this Scotch Whisky around 70 years ago. I ended up with one bottle. I would appreciate any help finding out real age, worth, any other information. Nobody in my family is much of a Scotch drinker, so nobody wants to even open the bottle. I may want to sell it, but haven't decided yet. The pictures below should provide any information needed. As you can see in the pictures, I even have the paper mache type cover that I believe was meant to protect the bottle. I have used Google and have found only one picture of an airplane bottle of the same Scotch. If anyone needs any other photos taken to help find information, just PM or e-mail me and I can take as many as needed.

Thank you,
Robert Gordon
Scotch@FlashMC.com

Label Text:
Product of Scotland
Glen Garry Blended Scotch Whisky
Blended By John Hopkins & Co Ltd. Distillers
Glasgow, Scotland
and Glen Elgin-GlenLivet Distillery
Longmorn, Scotland

Net Contents 4/5 Quarts
Strength 86.8 Proof

Photos:
flashmc

Postby flashmc » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:28 pm

55 Views and no replies. I am shocked. I did receive some information on another board though. Pardon the English, as the board I received the info on is not an English speaking message board.

"Glen Garry is a old blend which was created in 1878 by John Hopkins whose company was bought up by the DCL and in 1987 DCL was taken over bei Guinness. Today Diageo still makes Glen Garry but I hear it is only sold in Spain nowadays. There is also a blend named Glengarry which comes from Whyte&Mackay.
Anway your bottle is a collectors item but I can tell you nothing of its actual worth or if there is a market for original old blends."

If anyone can add anything to this information or give me some ideas where to look for additional information, I would really appreciate it. I mainly want to find out how old it is. After that I would like to know if it is worth anything. And last, if the worth is not too great, does anyone know if it should taste good. I'm not a huge Scotch drinker, so the bottle is somewhat lost on me.
flashmc

Postby Iain » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:33 am

Diageo has it's own archive service - details here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/arch ... sp?LR=1877
Iain
Double Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder