Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Something Special

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Something Special

Postby sammie53 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:40 pm

Hello everyone....New to this site and I find it very interesting...But I do need some information if possible..I am not a scotch drinker nor is my husband but I do have a bottle of Something Special Scotch Whisky. Now this might not be interesting to all of you who read this but I am just curious. I got this bottle from my in-laws who got it from Scotland in the early 60's
It is sealed and unopened. It is from the Glenlevit Distilleries, Hill Tompson Co.Ltd.It also has a Royal Warrant (whatever that means I am not sure) I was wondering if this bottle is of any value? I thought that maybe people who collect scotch would know more about it and could shed some light on me.And..if there are collectors who are interested please don't hesitate to contact me. Well... thank you for you time..and I am looking forward to hearing from someone soon....Sammie
sammie53

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:19 pm

Hill Thompson was founded in 1793 by William Hill, and his son Robert was granted a Royal Warrant by King William 1V in 1834.

in the UK a Royal Warrant is an official
statement by a member of the Royal Family that he or she buys a product or service from a particular manufacturer or retailer.

Royal Warrants are eagerly sought for the kudos they give, but tend to reflect the taste of the member of the Royal Family concerned - which may or may not be a good thing!

Cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby sammie53 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rudolph Hucker:
<B>Hill Thompson was founded in 1793 by William Hill, and his son Robert was granted a Royal Warrant by King William 1V in 1834.

in the UK a Royal Warrant is an official
statement by a member of the Royal Family that he or she buys a product or service from a particular manufacturer or retailer.

Royal Warrants are eagerly sought for the kudos they give, but tend to reflect the taste of the member of the Royal Family concerned - which may or may not be a good thing!

Cheers

Rudolph</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW...Now that is what I call a fast reply...
Thank you for you information...Maybe I am having a blond moment but could you please tell me what a kudo is? Do you think that this bottle may be of any value in the near future? Thanks Sammie
sammie53

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:32 pm

kudos - pronounced KEWDOSS -is a slang word for prestige

Sorry, I have no information on value or whether it is worth drinking

Cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby lexkraai » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:44 pm

Sammie, to get an idea of whether your bottle has any collector's value, contact Martin Green; e-mail address is to be found at http://www.whiskybids.com/McTears.htm

Good luck!
Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby sammie53 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lexkraai:
<B>Sammie, to get an idea of whether your bottle has any collector's value, contact Martin Green; e-mail address is to be found at http://www.whiskybids.com/McTears.htm

Good luck!
Lex

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much lex...going to look into it ..
sammie53

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder