Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

James Munro Distillery ,Leith

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

James Munro Distillery ,Leith

Postby b munro » Tue May 06, 2003 6:07 pm

Does anyone know of the history of the James Munro Distillery in Leith. I have aquired 2 old bottles from this distillery and cannot find any info anywhere. Please help.
b munro

Postby lexkraai » Wed May 07, 2003 6:43 am

Hi

Are the bottles you talk about from a James Munro Distillery in Leith or from James Munro & Son Ltd., Distillers in Leith? Is it a (single) malt or a blended whisky?

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby b munro » Wed May 07, 2003 8:19 pm

The bottles are from James Munro and sons of Leith. IT says Munro, King of Kings Rare old Deluxe scotch whisky. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lexkraai:
<B>Hi

Are the bottles you talk about from a James Munro Distillery in Leith or from James Munro & Son Ltd., Distillers in Leith? Is it a (single) malt or a blended whisky?

Cheers, Lex</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
b munro

Postby lexkraai » Fri May 09, 2003 6:43 am

What you have is a blended whisky, so it does not come from a single 'James Munro distillery'. James Munro & Sons was a distilling and blending company based in Leith/Edinburgh. King of Kings indeed was one of their brands. They operated in the early 20th century and did at some point own Dalwhinnie and Knockdhu. In the 1920s they became a subsidiary of DCL (now Diageo).

I can probably dig up a bit more about the company, so let me know if you need more (and what) info.

Hope this helps!
Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby b munro » Sun May 11, 2003 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info, I have been trying to find out the history of the distillery and a value of the bottles. If you can offer any advice as there is no info on the net.
b munro

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder