Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Black Bowmore Final Edition 1964-1995

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Black Bowmore Final Edition 1964-1995

Postby Xavier » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:57 pm

Hi all,

Anyone an idea of the current price for this rarity ? Someone is "offering" me a bottle for an interesting price, I think, 1800 euro. I've never bought a bottle just for collecting it (always for emptying it :) ), but I am tempted now...

Thanx for any advice,

Xavier
Xavier

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:00 pm

€1800 Is a pretty good price.

One sold in Jan 2006 on Ebay.de for €2110 and I rarely see them under €2000 anywhere in Euroland.
In the UK, they tend to be a little more expensive.

I hope this helps.
WH
Deactivated Member

black bowmore

Postby richard » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:20 pm

just had a look at mctears latest auction two black bowmores one was £1200.00 the other £1400.00 as well 15% commision plus vat i hope this helps

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:33 pm

WhiskyHammer wrote:€1800 Is a pretty good price.

WH

I would not consider it a "good" price as it was priced between £95-100 when released.
Sure, you could probably make a tiny profit from it in a couple of years if that's what you're after but I don't see it very likely that it will continue to increase that much.
The auction prices have been very stable the last few years at EUR.1500-2000 depending on which of the 3 releases you buy.

For drinking? Sure, did I have a deep dwell of cash I would consider this too. :)

Cheers

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:56 pm

Mr. Ellen, the information I have is that the original prices were in the region of €80, €120 & €180 for the three releases.
However, these prices are pretty irrelevant today as the current market value is exactly as has been quoted.

When looking at whisky as an investment one must look towards the mid to long term. In this case the Black Bowmore has been an excellent investment for those who bought at the original price.

As posted elsewhere, I do keep track of many current market prices and also has been shown, the €1800 is not a bad price in todays market. I most certainly have not seen any sold for as little as €1500 for quite some time and I speak of years, not months.

The prices achieved and quoted by McTears are always on the low side compared to other online outlets, whether auction sites or online shops, due to the "Buyer premium" of 15% over end price, plus VAT on the 15%. If you calculate this, then you will see that the earlier quoted price at McTears is also in line with my own earlier post.

In addition, I know it always speculation, but I believe that anyone buying this bottle today for €1800 will make a good investment over a period of 5-10 years. By good investment, I mean at least comparable to any UK or German bank account and probably better.

For the "Drink not invest" people on this forum, then if they have €1800 to spend on a whisky and want to try Black Bowmore, then why not?

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:01 pm

I will also add that if the OP (Xavier) does not want to pay the €1800, then he is welcome to PM me with details and I may be able to consider buying it myself.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:21 pm

WhiskyHammer,

I do not disagree with you on any point, I just wanted to state that EUR1800.00 in my opinion never can be a "good price" for a bottle of whisky, especially when compared to the initial price.
EUR1800 is still an incredible amount to invest into something that most likely will not repeat it's rise in value the way it has in the past.

Cheers

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:05 pm

Mr Ellen wrote:WhiskyHammer,

I do not disagree with you on any point, I just wanted to state that EUR1800.00 in my opinion never can be a "good price" for a bottle of whisky, especially when compared to the initial price.

But that is exactly WH's point--that it is entirely irrelevant to invoke the initial price when discussing current value.

Mr Ellen wrote:EUR1800 is still an incredible amount to invest into something that most likely will not repeat it's rise in value the way it has in the past.

And there's the real issue, and the only way to judge a "good" price. No, it is highly unlikely to increase in price by another 1500%. No one expects it to. The question is whether it will increase enough to make the investment worthwhile. It's hard to see such as this going down in value...but who knows? That's what makes the world go 'round.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:50 am

Mr. E & Mr. T
I am also not arguing so my apologies if ti seemed that way.

I also agree that a further increase of the scale seen so far is highly unlikely. But when I attempt to analyse whether any specific bottle has 'good' investment opportunities, I have to compare it against other current market opportunities.
In the UK, I believe that if you were to invest ca. 1400 GBP (€2000) you would be lucky to get any more than 4.75%, maybe 5% pa in a bank account. The stock markets can offer better performance which I would usually estimate at an average 'best' of 10% pa.

I do believe that The Black Bowmore has every possibility of beating the typical bank rates of 5% pa if kept over that 5-10 years. I would also expect it to at least match the idea of 10% pa, but of course, this is speculation as to the whisky market in 10 years time.

But the great benefit is that should the price fall, you don't lose everything, you can always DRINK IT!

Thanks to you both for some good discussion on one of my favourite topics.
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 am

Hello WH,
You're probably right that it's a far better option for investment than any stocks or bank accounts can offer...just promise me you'll send me a sample from this bottle if there should be a decrease in value and you're about to open it... :D :D :D

Cheers and apologies if my words seemed a bit harsh. :wink:

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:49 pm

All in the spirit of exchanging thoughts and ideas.
Deactivated Member

Postby Xavier » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:17 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your reactions and the interesting discussion which they are leading to. I totally agree with you that the price is rediculously high for just a botlle of whisky, the taste of which will probably not be ten times better (to me) than the average bowmore 15 YO (one of my favourite bowmores...).

I'm still hesitating because I know for myself that when I buy that bottle, it will probably only be because I can make more money out of it immediately or within a few years (definitely more than keeping the money on my bank account...), and not because I respect the real quality of that particular whisky.

So it's quite a moral issue for me.
Xavier

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:02 pm

Xavier,
good luck if you do decide to buy it!

Mr T & Mr E,
I am very pleased that I found this forum in which we can exchange such ideas, it is pleasantly refreshing to be able to discuss all aspects of such a wonderful hobby - whether drinking, saving for later to drink or collecting and investing.

Long may it continue,
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby MacLover » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:57 am

Xavier wrote:
....the taste of which will probably not be ten times better (to me) than the average bowmore 15 YO (one of my favourite bowmores...)

It is hard to predict this as everyones taste is different but I will say that there are some out there that will claim that this is one of the best whiskies ever bottled. That being said, some have made the same claim about the 1966 Springbank Local Barleys and many of my friends were disappointed with them.

I had the good fortune of sampling a dram of Black Bowmore while in Tokyo with a friend and I have to say that I was blown away and it will leave a very good lasting memory. But I must caveat this with saying that I did not actually pay for it as my friend was gracious enough to pick up the tab. So, if you asked me if the price is worth cracking a bottle open I would probably say no. But if you do it will be something to remember!

Back to the question at hand. Based on current market value 1800euro is a "fair" price, especially for a First Edition.
MacLover

Black bowmore Final Edition ...Bottle 1200

Postby Foamy » Tue May 02, 2006 3:56 pm

Hello,

is there annyboy interested in buying a bottle.
Black Bowmore Final Edition Bottle 1200.
if you want to know more you can alway contact me @

Bart.Alisch@pandora.be

Feel free to send me a mail.
I would love to sell my bottle. But I am not yet 100% sure.
It will depend of the offers I get.

Regards
Bart Alisch
Belgium - Gent
Foamy

midnight tour

Postby middlecut » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:39 am

Having just returned from the 2006 islay whisky festival I have to say the Black Bowmore is worth every penny. I was lucky enough to be invited on the midnight tour and got a wee dram of the liquid gold straight from the 1964 cask (Percy's special supply). It was the ultimate highpoint of my rather short (4yrs) whiskey drinking experience.

Very Fruity, rasberries, strawberries mixed with deep dark molasses.
the wood and smoke belned perfectly with the fruit
the finish was so dry it made me thirsty for more.

Unfortunately it was only one dram each for those of us lucky enoght to be there.

I have to add that if you are able to get your hands on a bottle ... DRINK IT!!! and share it with the best of your friends.
middlecut

Postby lbacha » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:53 am

I've got to agree with you about Percy's stash I've tried it as well on a solo tour with Percy and it is amazing. I tried both a first fill and second fill from 1964 and Wow! they were great. This was actually the second tasting of them because I was staying in the cottages and tried some the night before. All in all I had 4 drams of this lovely stuff.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder