Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfarclas Quarter CAsk

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:57 pm

I am very tempted to revisit this one tonight, just a wee dram in the name of research of course. :wink:

In fact it could be interesting as I have just eaten a chunk of home-made chocolate cake.
I'm now wondering how the choclate flavour in the QC will react with the after-taste of that wedge of cake :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:59 pm

Mmmmmmm, that smokey wood from yesterday has turned into gentle leather with a very slight hint of molasses today.

Is it due to the chocolate cake, or to the fact that yesterday I tried it after a couple of other drams?

Anyway, this is far gentler on the palate today and I am thoroughly enjoying my small dram.

Given the opportunity I would love to try this back to back with Glenfiddich Solera Reserve!
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:35 am

Had a B-B-Q last night and was drinking róse which is fairly sweet. Later on in the night I had another dram of the Glenfarclas and it was a totally different experience.

I totally put it down to the wine as the whisky was much more robust.

It was slightly spicey and zingy (in a talisker way but not a much) and I did get a touch of smoke on the top of the palate and it lingered. Really nice. However it did go back to pretty much my first notes after a second but I could still detect the light smoke. Really enjoyed it this last night.

Just goes to show how you can taste different parts in different situations. I'll have no problems finishing this stuff.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:04 am

I've not tried this and thought it was great. My kind of whisky. It had that burn sugar taste with a dry ash finish. Well worth the money.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:16 am

I tried a third sampling of this one yesterday evening and it was slightly different again.
It seems to be mellowing quite quickly after the initial opening.

I will now leave it for a few weeks in the back of my drinks cabinet to see how, or if, it develops further.

Definitiely a good dram and I agree with Aidan, it is well worth the money.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:15 pm

Hmm. I'm not sure about this one now. It is very interesting, though. The nose is a bit like sweet new spirit. It's got liquorice in it. It tastes like it's concentrated whisky. Very oily. Quite unusual.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:41 am

Opened this again last night

The big sweetness on the nose seems to have died down a bit now which is not ba thing. I agree with the oilyness but I like that in a whisky.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:51 am

I too love an oily whisky.

I'll have to revisit this one. It is better when you don't taste it along side other whiskies.
Aidan

Postby lbacha » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:13 am

Is this bottling only available to German markets?

I'd love to get a bottle but I'm not sure where to start looking.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:13 pm

It's now just under 4 weeks since I opened this bottle and tonight I re-visited it.

All my initial detection of smoke, molasses, licorice and leather has now gone.
It is no longer as spicy as when I first opened it, but the chocolate remains and the sherry becomes much more prominent.

It is still not a heavy drink, but certainly not a light one.

I still like this, but it is much more of a sherried malt than at first tasting.
It's almost like drinking a strong and slightly spicy oloroso.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:45 am

WhiskyHammer wrote:It's now just under 4 weeks since I opened this bottle and tonight I re-visited it.

All my initial detection of smoke, molasses, licorice and leather has now gone.
It is no longer as spicy as when I first opened it, but the chocolate remains and the sherry becomes much more prominent.

It is still not a heavy drink, but certainly not a light one.

I still like this, but it is much more of a sherried malt than at first tasting.
It's almost like drinking a strong and slightly spicy oloroso.

I kind of agree... smoke is still evident for me but I can now get that dark slightly bitter chocolate over anything else that I got previously and of course the sherry. Looks like our bottles are behaving the same way.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:55 am

I revisited my QC yesterday evening and found the intense sherry evident in mid-June (after the bottle had been open fro around 4 weeks) has now mellowed slightly.
There are only a few drams left in the bottle, the early "Spicy" flavour has returned, there is still a little smoke, but the general flavour is now one of a warming, mellow sherry, with a little smoke and oak.

A very pleasant after dinner, evening dram.
MT
Deactivated Member

Previous

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder