Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A question about OLD whisky...

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

A question about OLD whisky...

Postby Aro2220 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:03 am

My grandfather was given bottles of whisky for Christmas, many years ago. There are still some left over after all this time and I picked them up when they were going to be thrown out. I'm not really sure if they're valuable, in fact I'm here to ask whether or not they're DRINKABLE.

I'm not much of a (whisky) drinker myself, and I don't have a clue how long whisky lasts before it goes bad. I'd imagine that an unopened bottle can last for a while, as it's not wine or even beer, but I'd rather ask some experts.

The oldest bottle is from the late 60's, and the earliest that is labeled is from 81. They were stored in a basement storage in a box for most of their life. They are unopened, and most had boxes around them (so there was probably very little, if any, light exposure).

Does light exposure matter? I just took them out of the boxes and put them on a shelf. Is this wise?

Also, if I wanted to drink one of these, for example, could I? How does whisky flavour change over time?

There's also a Cognac and some brandy...if anyone knows about those too...

Thanks.
Aro2220

Postby Aidan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:44 am

Whisky will change over a very long period of time, but they should be perfectly fine to drink. How much it changes depends on the conditions it was kept in, but a sealed bottle kept in good conditions should be very similar to when it was first bottled.

Is there any evaporation from the bottles?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:44 am

PS - what are the brands of the bottles?
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:59 am

I agree totally with Aidan, but I will add that they should really be stored upright, not laid down like wine.
Also, avoid direct sunlight.

I too am interested to know what brands they are.
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Aro2220 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:36 am

I don't think there has been evapouration or anything.

I don't think they were anything very valuable. I just saw it as possibly good whisky being thrown away. ;-) So I can drink these, most likely? I see...

I only have six bottles...
they are Alberta Premium from 1981...

Johnnie Walker - Black Label 12 years old...(at least it WAS...;-P)

Crown Royal from 1979

some 'buton brandy' called "Vecchia Romagna Buton"... (not whisky)

Gooderham's Centennial - seal on it says 1961. I only think it might be worth something because it had it's own carrying case. A pretty stupid reason ;-P

There was also a fine champagne cognac from remy martin...i don't know if this is any good or whatever....wouldn't this have gone bad by now?

It was in it's on little case thing, so i doubt light got at it...
anyone know?
Aro2220

Postby Dubois » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:51 pm

Normally it shouldn't be a problem...just enjoy it :wink:
Dubois

Postby WestVanDave » Mon May 01, 2006 6:28 am

Hi Aro - what part of the world are you in???

Some of those bottles may be of interest from a "research & comparison to current versions" point of view - if you would be interested in selling them...

Let me know.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 01, 2006 11:22 pm

For comparison, this past weekend I opened for some friends at a bourbon event:
  • 1940-distilled, 1948 bottled Weller Bottled in Bond;
  • 1941/1945 Old Grand-Dad Bottled in Bond;
  • 1959-bottled Old Heaven Hill;
  • 1942 Four Roses rye.

While it certainly can happen occasionally, none of these showed the least bit of mustiness or any kind of spoilage. It's been my experience that's generally the rule rather than the exception.
Deactivated Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder