Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Prince of Wales Welsh Whisky

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Prince of Wales Welsh Whisky

Postby The Thistle » Sat May 13, 2006 12:41 pm

Many years ago in the 80's, I was given 2 lead crystal rugby balls filled with Prince of Wales single vatted malt welsh whisky, the size is 500mls.
I still have both bottles (balls) in the original packaging, which states among other things,

Whisky production started in Brecon in 1974, from a small brewhouse at the Camden Arms, in 1976 Swn y'Mor came on to the home market. In 1982 the company moved to the Ffrwdgrech Estate and in July 1986 this fine whisky Prince of Wales was released and is one of the rarest whiskies in the world.
(I take the last part with a pinch of salt)

also,
Bottled & Vatted by the Welsh Whisky Co. Brecon, Wales

Incidently, the seals are unbroken and the contents still there.

Can anyone help me with this whisky?

Many thanks,
Stewart
The Thistle

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat May 13, 2006 1:34 pm

I also have a bottle of "Prince of Wales" whisky, but it is more of a normal shaped bottle.
I recently read somewhere that this producer no longer exists and after seeing this discussion decided to google a little.

I found the following which is quite interesting:

http://www.celticmalts.com/journal-a32.htm

As for any value of your 'bottle' and also my own, I wouldn't like to estimate exactly, but I suspect it won't be great. However, I am keeping my own purely for 'novelty' value in the part of collection reserved for 'other whiskies'.

Regards,
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat May 13, 2006 4:35 pm

I tasted a some of the Prince of Wales in the tradional shaped bottle and it was simply awful. It tasted like burnt rubber. I'm sure they will have some value in the future but don't open them, there's no point.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder