Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Investment

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Investment

Postby Dan B » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:08 pm

I'm a long term whiskey fan, and I'm coming round to the idea of it as an investment.

Can anyone tell me the best way of going about this? Obviously I could buy a bottle of something special, for example one in the Ardbeg range, but is this the best way? Should whiskey be kept in a bottle for a long time in the same way that Port can be?

I've heard you can buy a cask, which will obviously then be oak aged, but I can't find anyhere that affirms this rumour. Having said that, all I've done so far is visist a few distillery's websites.

Can anyone help me with this?

Dan B
Dan B

Postby Jan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi Dan

Welcome to the forums.

If you buy for investment, you would probably be wise to avoid the Ardbegs, Port Ellens etc. of this world, they will probably not riser that much higher.

Theres a very good article on buying for investment here: http://www.thewhiskystore.de/experts/collection.htm

Buying a cask is, as far as I know not a good investment - you have no guarantee that the whisky will age well - and you have no guarantee at all that you will be able to sell your whisky at a good price. (But you will still have to pay taxes and such.)

Has been discussed before:
How to buy a "cask" of whisky
Buying a cask

I'm not an expert on whisky as investment - I buy the stuff to drink it :D
- but I'm sure forum membersmore knowledgeable than I, will be along shortly...

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:16 pm

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum(s),

Whisky as an investment is a speciality area of mine as I am a collector of more than 10 years and have studied many aspects of collecting whisky as an investment.

There are a few discussions already on this topic and lots of great information.

As the link which Jan provided will confirm, you cannot just go ou and buy any old whisky off the shelf and expect it to be a good investment.

There are certain guidelines, which if followed, will help you to maximise your chances of getting a very good return on your initial 'investment'.

I have written my own article on my own website about this topic and will post the direct link below. However, you should also look at the WhiskyHammer home page menu, select "Collect to Invest" and look not only at the main article linked below, but also the examples of good investments which should help you decide what to look for today.

http://www.whiskyhammer.com/CollectWhy.asp

If you require any further information or help, please just ask, either directly on here, or by a "PM" to this ID.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:23 pm

Sorry Dan,
I forgot to answer your second question:

Stored correctly, whisky will be perfectly sound when left in the bottle.
But,
Leave it unopened and originally sealed,
Store it upright, NOT laid on its side,
Preferably store it in cool as opposed to hot conditions, room temp. is ideal,
DO NOT leave it exposed to direct sunlight,
A constant year round temperature is also better.

WH
Deactivated Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder