Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New to whisky collecting - part II

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

New to whisky collecting - part II

Postby ABC » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:52 pm

First of all I would like to thank all the forum members who left kind and nice messages after my first post severaly weeks ago, my wife and I had a healthy baby boy, who is now 5 weeks old and is fantastic :D .

In the end I have bought the following bottles to keep for his 21st birthday, that we can either drink, he can sell on, or a bit of both.

Springbank 21 year old
Hazelburn x 3 (still, floor, cask)
Glendronach 15 year old sherry x 2
Lord of the Isles
Macallan 12 year old sheery woodlands reserve (one with tree)

When he was born some members suggested trying the Ardbegs as a celebration drink but to be honest it was not my thing, however I bought the Balvenie 17 year old new wood, it was fantastic, very smooth and easy to drink, as a reslult I have also bought the port wood 21 year old, to keep for the world cup final to watch and share with some friends.

Also, are other forum members familiar with the fantastic sale odd-bins are having, yesterday I bought a Balvenie 30 year old, Brora 30 year old and a Glenfarclas 30 year old, it cost £410. I belive that it is a saving of nearly £160ish. Speaking to the manager he said that the are getting rid of all of their more expensive whisky to make way for new stock? If you phone the Aberdeen shops, they still have on their shelves Glenfarclas 25 year old (£50) Glenfarclas 30 (£65) Balvenie 30(£185) and many more bargins, though I would share this info with forum members who want a bargain.

Well thanks again for all the kind words

Glen Fraser
ABC

Postby MGillespie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:46 pm

Congratulations, ABC...that's a great selection!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:31 pm

Looks like a nice selection... One luck boy in 18/21 years :wink:

Congrats on the Birth of your baby.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:45 pm

Hello ABC

Congrats on the birth of your son!! :D

Seems like a good selection of malts you have made. There should be something there equally suitable for selling and/or enjoying.

Look forward to the Balvenie 21yo - it's a delightful dram.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:24 pm

You have selected some good choices with some great prospects for appreciation in value.

If you would like to make a note of this, I will stick my neck out here and say that your son should see the value reach at least 3500-4500 GBP by the time he is 21. Maybe, (I do say "Maybe") he could see a zero added to your original combined price plus a bit extra too. But I would expect the key to this increase to be the Hazelburn and the Ardbeg.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:54 am

Congrats ABC!! Nice selection as well...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:46 pm

Glen, great selection and congratulations on your new 'addition'

Best wishes,

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder