Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Kildalton

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Ardbeg Kildalton

Postby Aidan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:17 pm

What's this going for now. Where can you buy it?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:43 pm

McTears in Glasgow sold three bottles their last whiskyauction.

They went for £160 (first bottle), £190 and £260 (last bottle)

The two first bottles had a minor fault:
Right bottom corner of front label slightly creased.

At the German Whiskyauction a bottle recently went for €320 (~£220).
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:48 am

Thaks Arve. The price is a bit depressing, though. Still, I'll try to get one somewhere.
Aidan

Postby SpiritofShetland » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:40 am

If your just out to sample it there are still quite a few Ardbeg Peat Packs in stores around Britain, and also for sale in the Ardbeg store.

The pack contains minis of the 10, 17, Uigeadail and Kildalton.

In the Ardbeg online-store the pack sells for £15.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:45 am

Thanks Arve

I have one of those - I actually cracked it open last night and tried them all. ..
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:45 am

As I visited the Ardbeg distillery with some colleagues in 2001, wel before any Ardbeg was ever released under the name Kildalton, the staff told an interesting story about the actual Kildalton whisky (unpeated whisky made at Ardbeg).

According to what they told us, some independent source with money and sales channels had commissioned Ardbeg to distill unpeated whisky. This source was to purchase the batches made, and sell in under their own label. Bu what happened is that the purcaser got into financial problems, so the stuff was left at Ardbeg and they did not know what they could do with it. Later on, as we now know, they realized that they could sell it as a distillery special bottling. I guess they vatted into it some peated malt as well, but as I haven't tasted it I cannot say.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:50 am

The Kildalton is a truly exceptional and very different, Ardbeg.

I have tasted the original full bottle and also the mini in the peat pack.

Aidan,
I almost always have some Kildalton available.
I have sent you a PM.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:01 pm

If you're going to drink it, buy 14 peat packs @ £15 each. That's £210 and you get the equivalent of a full bottle of the others for 'free'.

Postage might sting a litttle :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:38 pm

Is the Kildalton in the Peat Packs different from the full bottle? I've tried the full bottle and it is great stuff. If the Peat pack bottles are similar then I might have to order a couple of them.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:43 pm

bamber wrote:If you're going to drink it, buy 14 peat packs @ £15 each. That's £210 and you get the equivalent of a full bottle of the others for 'free'.

As that guy from the A Team might say - that's so crazy it might just work.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:10 pm

The date on the Kildalton in the peat packs is different to the large bottle.

The bottle is 1980-2004
The minis in the peat packs are 1981.

Having said this, I have tried both and find no great differences.
I did try to find out why the different dates, especially as Ardbeg originally stated that the 1980-2004 was a unique experiment - "Never to be repeated".
Then a year afterwards, out comes the 1981.

I never received an official and suitable reply from Ardbeg, but I did hear on the Grapevine that an amount was set aside for staff but wasn't fully taken up.
This could have been used for the peat packs.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:01 am

Someone somewhere said that their distillation dates ran across new year - hence the 2 dates.

I'm getting an itch to buy more now. Hmm 7 packs would be a half bottle of each. £105, for 4 half bottles of Ardbeg .... tempting.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:16 am

bamber wrote:If you're going to drink it, buy 14 peat packs @ £15 each. That's £210 and you get the equivalent of a full bottle of the others for 'free'.

Interesting idea actually, but where can you buy it for £15 ? Thought it retailed at around £19-20.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:50 am

Ardbeg charges £15 on their webpage - Ardbeg Shop
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:39 pm

I'm sipping on the Kildalton from the peat pack. It really is good. The Uigedail is great, but I'd prefer if it wasn't quite so salty.
Aidan

Postby bamber » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:36 pm

I'm thinking hmm 4 peat packs, that'd be 8 shots of each. More than a whole bottle of Ardbeg (80 cl). £60 from the website - same as a bottle of Macallan 18yo. Well I'm not paying that for the Mac - better get on the phone to Ardbeg right now.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:35 am

M.R.J. wrote:I guess they vatted into it some peated malt as well, but as I haven't tasted it I cannot say.

There is Kildalton in the 17yo Ardbeg. :)

And I had the opportunity to buy a bottle of the 1980 Kildalton a month ago at the astonishing price of £95 (the release price) in a shop on Islay. It now stands proud on my Islay shelf.

Oh, and by the way, Kildalton is the best tasting Ardbeg I've ever tasted. :lol: :wink:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:13 pm

Ahh, you're right, the 17yo does I guess have some Kildalton blended into it. The 17yo is pretty hard to find these days, at least unless you're willing to fork out something in the region of £ 90-100 / bottle. A pity, just the other day it was everywhere - what an oversight not to purchase some more bottles of it. then! I'm left with one only. :cry:

On the bright side, got my two new friends, 2 x Ben Nevis 26yo single cask cask strength's delivered yesterday!!! :lol: That is an amazing dram indeed..
Deactivated Member

Postby rumrunner » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:30 pm

Every bottle I've ever seen had a small crease on the right bottom corner. I wonder if it was just omitted in the description and someone paid £260 for it via telephone. Did anyone at the McTears auction actually note if the last bottle had a crease or not? My bottle has a crease, and again, every other bottle I've seen has that same crease (I've seen approx 3 other bottles, and not the ones at McTears), so I always thought it was a production problem particular to Kildalton?

SpiritofShetland wrote:McTears in Glasgow sold three bottles their last whiskyauction.

They went for £160 (first bottle), £190 and £260 (last bottle)

The two first bottles had a minor fault:
Right bottom corner of front label slightly creased.

At the German Whiskyauction a bottle recently went for €320 (~£220).
rumrunner

Postby Bullie » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:32 am

rumrunner wrote:Every bottle I've ever seen had a small crease on the right bottom corner. I wonder if it was just omitted in the description and someone paid £260 for it via telephone. Did anyone at the McTears auction actually note if the last bottle had a crease or not? My bottle has a crease, and again, every other bottle I've seen has that same crease (I've seen approx 3 other bottles, and not the ones at McTears), so I always thought it was a production problem particular to Kildalton?

My bottle is has a lable which is in perfect condition. And the two bottles my friends bought was the same.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby rumrunner » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:04 am

OK so it seems like bottles without the crease definitely exist. I wonder how many bottles are affected by the crease? It is such a small little crease (label is essentially dog-eared), must have been a production problem.

Bullie wrote:
rumrunner wrote:Every bottle I've ever seen had a small crease on the right bottom corner. I wonder if it was just omitted in the description and someone paid £260 for it via telephone. Did anyone at the McTears auction actually note if the last bottle had a crease or not? My bottle has a crease, and again, every other bottle I've seen has that same crease (I've seen approx 3 other bottles, and not the ones at McTears), so I always thought it was a production problem particular to Kildalton?

My bottle is has a lable which is in perfect condition. And the two bottles my friends bought was the same.
rumrunner

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder