Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Label falling off the bottle

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Label falling off the bottle

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Hello,

I noticed recently that the label from one of my older bourbon bottles had fallen off - seems the glue had dried up somehow.

My question is, what do you think of such a problem in terms of collecting etc.? Is it a big issue (the label is in prime condition otherwise)? Can / should I glue it back, and with what? Or would you consider this risky?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:20 pm

A difficult question.

Last year I bought an Ardbeg 1975-2000 whose label had at some point come off. The seller had stuck it back on and this was done very well, but he didn't align it properly!

The Ardbeg 1975 (I guess like all Ardbegs) has an Ardbeg symbol in the glass and this is central to the label. On this particular bottle it was way adrift.

I contacted Ardbeg directly with the unique bottle ID and they confirmed that the bottle was a genuine Ardbeg 1975-2000, so no problem!

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:38 pm

I wonder how common this problem is?
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:59 pm

If a bottle is stored in a fluctuating environment it can mean that the label becomes damp and also dries.This will eventually result in the label rising and falling off but if the label is perfect more than lightly just not enough adhisive when it left the production line. May not very common but it has also happened to me once. Even when I worked in a store many moons ago stocking the shelves with bottles you will always come across a few with crooked, creased and even loose labels which all help it on it's way to detacth from the bottle. I would see no problen in reattaching a lable just make sure you do your research on the type of gum to use.

A bucket of wall paper paste maybe :lol: :lol: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder