Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help for a novice - please

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Help for a novice - please

Postby Linds77 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:34 am

Hi guys, I am new to this site and to be honest I am neither a drinker or a lover of whisky.

The reason I am here is for my father. I am to be married next year and my father is paying for my reception. As a thank you I am looking to get him a single malt possibly a 1977 (year I was born).

This is where I need your help. I know nothing about a good single malt or any other whisky for that matter and I really would not know where to begin looking. I know that my father used to drink Glenlivet and Glenmorangie but beyond that I am lost.

If you could help me in any way I would be eternally grateful.

Linds
Linds77

Postby lbacha » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:21 pm

Hello Linds77

This could be a good tread because my sister and her fiance are getting married this year and both were born in 77. I was planning on getting a 77 for the reception but wasn't sure what to go with. I have a bottle of 77 ardbeg and 77 rare malts brora but am hesitant to open them at a reception where very few people will trully enjoy them. I will have to do some research but I'm sure there is are alot of good 77's speysides (more appealing to a new or novice drinker) out there that will appeal to the bigger audience. I will let you know what I find.

Any advice from others would be great in my search as well.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:04 pm

My immediate thought was also for the Ardbeg 1977.

It is beginning to rise in price and also not being offered for sale quite so often, but they are findable and a superb dram!

Expect to pay around €150-€165 in mainland Europe (Ebay sites) or up to 130-140 GBP in the UK (Ebay or similar).
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:06 pm

Another approach would be to look for age as opposed to exact year.

Born in 1977 means either 28 or 29 years old.

So, what would anyone recommend now .......

1977 bottlings
28 years old
29 years old
Deactivated Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:15 pm

It really all depends on where in the world your are, specially since very few shops in Europe ships to the US or Canada.

As for whiskies from 1977:
* The Whisky Exchange has a t least 20 different bottling, with prices ranging from £45 (Banff, OMC). (Press search / Enter vintage)

* Loch Fyne Whiskies also have some, with a Rare Malts Bladnoch 1977 as the cheapest I could find in a hurry for £63.90

* Royal Mile Whiskies also has one or two. With prices starting at £42.50 (Signatory Ardmore)

Leaving Britain we have:
* P.Ullrich in Basel (Switzerland) - I found eight 1977 single malts (prices from CHF 178).

* At Weinquelle in Germany I found just three, with prices from €67.50

* In the US The Whisky Shop USA has at least seven different bottling, raning from US$135
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder