Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

whisky auction websites, experiences?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

whisky auction websites, experiences?

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:54 pm

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone could perhaps share their experiences with regards to the few whisky auction websites that exist?

As a ´newbie´to this world, it would be interesting to hear of people's experiences - good or bad, or indeed neutral.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:23 am

I have dealt with Whisky Hammer and he is an up front guy, honest and very willing to give advice. No problem Recomending him.

Ebay just keep an eye on peoples ratings at the end of the day it's buyer beware try and use your common sense. Also know what you are buying and all the retail prices and do your research. You often see people buying a bottle on Ebay for £X.00 and it's available at an online shop cheaper.

I also never had any major issues with Whisky Auction and have dealt with them numerous times but I had a few issues with the bidding structure. I have not used it in a while so not sure if it is fixed. My issue was if you were highest bidder but wanted to increase you max bid you actually bidded against yourself by doing so. This was very annoying and the owner could not see my point that I was losing out on one bid against me and just said the price would probably exceed that anyway.

I've never used Whisky Bay as it never seems to have a good selection of bottles for me personally.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:26 pm

I have dealt a few times with whiskyauction and everything worked just fined.

McTears auctions are also well and professionaly organised.

Haven't tried Whisky Hammer, but I have dealt with quite a lot of Germans and worked always flawlessly.

Regarding Ebay, there are good and bad sellers. Don't hesitate to contact the buyer before placing your bid.

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:11 pm

Thank you for your opinions, it was kind of you to answer.

There seems quite a few interesting bottlings available through these auctions, some for very reasonable starting prices.
Deactivated Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder