Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Where's your passion vs. where you invest?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Postby scoobypl » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:48 pm

Be carefull what you ask for John, You may get an unasked for, free diagnosis after I had a couple of drams :wink: :wink: :lol:
Whether it would do you any good, is another matter! :roll: :wink: :lol:

Scooby
scoobypl

Postby Jan » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:01 pm

I have just read Dave Broom's "Handbook of Whisky" (Reviewed in books forum) and found something that relates to the above:

Ed Dolson, Glen Moray wrote:...In the old days the quality depended on the stillman, he says. "There's better control now, but you canna' get exceptional whiskies. That's the price you pay for conistency. There will be good whiskies, don't get me wrong, but there will be fewer peaks".

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby scoobypl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:27 am

See... I've read that book to...and some of those things are left behind in that sif I call a brain ... :wink:

Scooby.
scoobypl

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:35 am

Well in 20-odd years we shall see if you lot are correct or not, if exceptional whiskies will be less.

Me, I'm taking the safe bet - buy some exceptional whiskies available NOW. Keep them under lock & key, and enjoy them when I am on pension. The joy of collecting..! :twisted:
Deactivated Member

Postby scoobypl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:05 am

Good Idea... thought the same thing 20 years ago...and am still thinking that...luckily I buy more than I can drink, cause otherwise it would have been a no-brainer for me... can 't leave the stuff on the shelf...they shouldn't have made it so damn good! :wink: I always think... this one is for the collection...and then curiosity takes over and I convince myself that I'm no good at collecting anyway, and I pop it open at the first convenient occasion... something about a strong will, but weak flesh comes to mind... :oops:

Scooby
scoobypl

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:44 pm

scoobypl wrote:Be carefull what you ask for John, You may get an unasked for, free diagnosis after I had a couple of drams :wink: :wink: :lol:
Whether it would do you any good, is another matter! :roll: :wink: :lol:

Scooby

For God's sake...I hope Scooby's not a proctologist! :shock:

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:00 pm

M.R.J. wrote:Me, I'm taking the safe bet - buy some exceptional whiskies available NOW. Keep them under lock & key, and enjoy them when I am on pension. The joy of collecting..! :twisted:

That’s the right idea, there are collectors who collect just to have, and there are those that collect with the view to enjoying at a latter date.

In a way we should be grateful to collectors, because if all the whisky ever made was drunk straight away, many great whiskies would have disappeared very quick, not giving any one else the chance to try said great malt many years down the line. That said, there is something just wrong about the high prices attached to some bottling’s, but it’s a market out there and a bottle will only be worth what some one will pay for it, and I guess its these collectors that people become resentful of, the ‘any bottle, any price’ collectors.

Dt
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby scoobypl » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:19 pm

dram_time wrote:
In a way we should be grateful to collectors, because if all the whisky ever made was drunk straight away, many great whiskies would have disappeared very quick, not giving any one else the chance to try said great malt many years down the line. That said, there is something just wrong about the high prices attached to some bottling’s, but it’s a market out there and a bottle will only be worth what some one will pay for it, and I guess its these collectors that people become resentful of, the ‘any bottle, any price’ collectors.

Dt

My sentiments exactly DT, and much better said than I ever could!
I do not have a problem with people who collect with the intention of trying what they have collected some time, or even people who collect, and sell some of it to buy other nice things (preferably whisky! :wink: )
That kind of collecting holds the respect for the people who made it, and also respects the purpose of whisky: it's a drink. It's art in a bottle, and the bottle is only the wrapping...
On the value of bottles: bottles like f.i. Black Bowmore first edition or like Ardbeg 1967/1995 (53,7%, Signatory, C#575, Pale Oloroso) or like Glen Garioch 1971 (59.6%, Samaroli, 2280 bottles, sherry, 75cl, circa 1988) or like Springbank 12yo 100 proof (57.1%, OB, imported by Samaroli, early 80’s, 2400 bottles) have become collectors items because they were extremely good...thus people who tasted it were prepared to fork out a few more quid to have it again...so the price has risen because of quality and rarity...
I resent the high pricesetting for bottles such as the Ardbeg 1965, because it has not proven yet that it is worth the price...they just asked because they know what a hype Ardbeg is right now.
As I said before, I have no problem with expensive bottles who earned the price...I do have a problem with bottles with no proven "track-record" wo are made expensive, just because they can.
But hey, I probably am naive... :wink:
scoobypl

Postby scoobypl » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:46 pm

Eh, Mark G. .... I'm not!!!! 8) :roll: :wink: (ahum..., a proctologist) (some people have dirty minds!)

Scooby
scoobypl

Postby empeslidis » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:35 pm

Dear all

Dificult business to collect whisky :D
empeslidis

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:50 pm

empeslidis wrote:Dear all

Dificult business to collect whisky :D

Welcome Empeslidis... true it is dificult to collect as it is hard trying not to drink it. :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:33 am

les taylor wrote:I agree with S O S once a bottle joins your collection there is an emotional attatchment that you would not want to sell.

I have developed strange emotional attachments to various people after a dram or two.

Is that the same thing?
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:23 pm

Eh, Mark G. .... I'm not!!!! 8) :roll: :wink: (ahum..., a proctologist) (some people have dirty minds!)

I am a proctologist (yes, really...)

What's wrong with that?!!!!!
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:00 am

Nothing at all! But we'll let someone else pour the drams, if you don't mind.... :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:39 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Nothing at all! But we'll let someone else pour the drams, if you don't mind.... :roll:

I have no problems with someone else pouring the drinks. Please be my guest :lol:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder