Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Auction bargains

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Auction bargains

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:42 am

Hello all,

I guess much of Central Europe is on holidays as it seems the whisky auctions online contain some real bargains at this moment. I do have a personal interest in some of the items (trying to buy), but thought I would also bring it to other's attention that there seems to be some very good prices for old bottlings now available in the auctions. Dunno, all of you may already know these places.

www. whiskyauction is one place to look at, and another is http://www.whiskyhammer.com

Saw a nice Port Ellen for less than 60 euros, a lot of older Rare Malts for affordable prices, Hazelburn 1st release and so on..Prices for Ardbegs seem sadly quite high.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:23 pm

I would not worry too much it, as these will hot up near the end of the auctions. It is a usual case with a lot of these.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:44 pm

I agree with IWC. Before the auction end you'll see that these current prices have risen to (often) sky-high prices.
Better is to watch the already ended auctions to see at what cost the bottles usually end up at.

Cheers

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:25 pm

A lot of Cool hand Lukes around trying to bluff a lower bid till the end :wink:

This is the way I usually bid myself ... leave it till the very end.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:39 pm

I see, well maybe I spoke too soon then. Just seemed like a good opportunity to get some rarer malts for reasonable prices. Alas, called it too early, I gather.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:40 pm

Certainly you gents were correct - Already I see some of the prices going up. Whats odd is that some people seem to be bidding higher prices than what the items cost in shops!

No bargains then..
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:31 pm

Thank you for mentioning WhiskyHammer.

This is still quite a new site, it only opened towards the end of March this year and is still largely quite unknown.
You are correct that there are some great bargains at the moment, all currently without bids. Please feel free to log in, enjoy the site and place some bids. If you have any questions, you may contact me directly.

WH
Deactivated Member

Collective experiences

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:47 pm

Well, after my first experiences of the whisky auctions online, I have drawn some conclusions:

- It is possible to get older, unavailable bottlings of less hyped whiskies for excellent prices.

- For hype-whiskies such as Ardbeg, this is much less likely in auctions, and some people are willing to bid what I'd consider extraordinary prices for the items for sale - but some can be bought for "reasonable" prices most certainly.

- For some whiskies which are still available in the shops, astonishingly some bidders well exceed in their bids the prices in the shops! - perhaps they do not bother to search with google first? A good example was a 30yo Ben Nevis, selling in auction for 250+ euros, and the very same bottling was available for a good 70+ euros less in a few shops. Go figure.

- The prices that appear very low in the very beginning of the auction often climb to silly levels at the end of the bidding at whiskyauction.

- The starting prices which do appear much higher at whiskyhammer do represent realistic values, and eventually one may end up getting the bottling (much) cheaper from this less known source.

By no means do I wish to advertise, and I am not affiliated with either source mentioned. These observations represent only my personal views and perhaps simplified deductions I have made.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:59 pm

Hi MRJ, as you saw some do go for stupid prices. I still find it amazing that bottles go for serious money even when still available in retail stores.

It really is a case of doing your home work and obviously people are not doing that but that is their loss. Always search for your bottle else where before getting involved in a bidding war.

I saw a bottle of Ardbeg Still Young going for 125.00 on Ebay and it still had a couple of days to go on it. I missed what it went for in the end but it is around 50-60Euro in online stores still ???? :roll:

Buyer Beware and all that
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:14 pm

Indeed. At whiskyauction, it seems some people et well carried away and the prices run away to ridiculous heights very quickly despite of starting low. One need only view the current auction to see this - and the bidding war hasn't even truly started as yet.

As such, whiskyhammer does strike me currently as more sensible source at least for the buyer often as long as it avoids such bidding frenzy.
Deactivated Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder