Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Millburn

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Millburn

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:06 am

This old distillery is no longer seen very often in bottlings, though some old Rare Malts still are for sale in some stores and at whisky auctions. I suppose as with most of the Rare Malts, now that the series is ending these will become collectibles.

Anyone tasted any of the RM Millburns? Heard its a good dram.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:35 am

No, unfortunately I have not tasted any Millburn, but you are correct that Millburn will probably become more sought after as a collectible and I expect the values of bottles to increase accordingly over time.

As for my personal collection, I have this lovely example tucked away which was a limited bottling for "World of Whiskies" (Duty Free).
It is cask strength at 67% and I managed to buy it in 1998 for 65 GBP (approx €95 to €100).
As for current value - I really don't know as I haven't seen one sold anywhere.

Sorry for the slight sidetrack, but I thought you may like to see this nice bottle.
MT

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:02 am

67%! That's pretty amazing, considering that virtually all casks are cut to 63.5% for maturation.

I recently bought a G&M Reserve Millburn 27, 46%, for a hundred smackers. Not tasted yet, probably not for some time.
Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:12 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:67%! That's pretty amazing, considering that virtually all casks are cut to 63.5% for maturation.

Best I can manage is 64.2%.(Teaninich)

You are indeed the master of Alc/Vol.

But back to the point here, the Millburn is supposed to be a great dram, although I have not tasted it yet. There are still some fairly cheap bottles of it around, so will try to get one of them for tasting and maybe a couple of the nicer ones to put aside for a latter date.

Dt
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:41 am

There's a Power's Johns Lane Distillery bottling from Cadenhead that's 73.2% abv. I have a Cadenhead Tullamore that's 65.3%.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:03 am

Haven't had the RM Millburn but on a recent trip to the Vaults tried one of their bottlings that was their "Malt of the Moment" ( reduced price !) , while it was a nice session dram and it went down very well it appeared very lowlanderish in character to me .
Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:07 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:Haven't had the RM Millburn but on a recent trip to the Vaults tried one of their bottlings that was their "Malt of the Moment" ( reduced price !) , while it was a nice session dram and it went down very well it appeared very lowlanderish in character to me .
Slainte
Gordon

Gordon - you say that like it's a bad thing...
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Millburn

Postby Whiskana » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:40 pm

M.R.J. wrote:This old distillery is no longer seen very often in bottlings, though some old Rare Malts still are for sale in some stores and at whisky auctions. I suppose as with most of the Rare Malts, now that the series is ending these will become collectibles.

Anyone tasted any of the RM Millburns? Heard its a good dram.

Just use the search engine here in the forum... :wink:

Whiskana wrote:Just opened this on last Saturday and now it's time for the second round.

Millburn RM 1969/35yo is at 51.2% just about perfect for me without water but it is a slight disappointment after tasting the 25yo RM. This is kind of citrusy too but not enough pepper which I liked in the younger brother.

Leaves my tongue numb and dry...I think I'll fetch a dram of something more islay-ish next...

RM 25yo cost me about 100€ and 35yo 110€...I suggest You buy the younger one because it's better. For me anyway.
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Whiskana » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:42 pm

Millburn Rare Malts 1969/35yo

Whisky Magazine Tasting Notes
Nose: Lime, underripe mangoes and a slight sour bready note, like brioche. Spritzy and slightly grassier with water. With more time there are distinct chocolate limes and marzipan.
Palate: Lime marmalade on brown toast. Viscous, then dries out with a little woodiness.
Finish: Complex citrus fruits and woodiness. Candied lemons.
Overall: Enjoyable and distinctive. Like an eccentric old aunt.

Tasted by Arthur Motley

Distiller's Tasting Notes
This full gold Highland malt's characteristic peppery aroma introduces a big, satisfying, mature yet supple dram with rich, sweet flavours and a spicy drying finish.

...and the 25yo is here.
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby corbuso » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:52 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:67%! That's pretty amazing, considering that virtually all casks are cut to 63.5% for maturation.

Just as mentioned in an article (http://www.whisky-news.com/En/Report.html, the effect of entry proof), whisky was matured unreduced in the 1980s by Diageo in order to save the number of casks needed for maturation.

Regarding the Millburn Rare Malts 1969, you can find tasting notes in: http://www.whisky-news.com/En/tasting.html 29Mar06
Some have other thoughts, it is up to you to decide. Personally, I much prefered the Glen Mhor.

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:08 pm

Whiskana: I did indeed use the search engine - and realized that apart from the official magazine tasting result, there was not much other to go on.

I can get my hands on the RM Millburn 25yo, that will be interesting to taste! Even the price does not appear too bad (under 100 euros).
Deactivated Member

Postby Whiskana » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:23 pm

M.R.J. wrote:Whiskana: I did indeed use the search engine - and realized that apart from the official magazine tasting result, there was not much other to go on.

I can get my hands on the RM Millburn 25yo, that will be interesting to taste! Even the price does not appear too bad (under 100 euros).

Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:03 pm

Some old tasting notes of mine;

Millburn 13 year old Cadenhead

Distilled: 10/83
Bottled: 09/97
Oak casked
58.8 alc/vol

Color: Bright gold

Nose: Cadenhead discribes it as "Peaches and cream", I think they just added a few letters to the word of "Peat". The peat just oozes out of this bottle!
I had to keep looking at the bottle, "this is a Highland"??

Palate: Creamy peat and sweet vanilla. Actually boatloads of peat, reminds me alot like Bruichladdie's 3D - Moine Mhor.

Finish: Dry, peaty bonfires that smolder away slowly. Simply yummy!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder