Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

100 y/o J. A. Dougherty's and Sons Whiskey

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

100 y/o J. A. Dougherty's and Sons Whiskey

Postby Jim Lumley » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:08 pm

We have a pint bottle of J. A. Dougherty's and Sons Whiskey, with the seal still intact. We haven't had any luck through extensive reseach on the internet finding out information about this bottle of whiskey. Does anybody know if it's worth anything or how to get a value on it? Thanks.

The front label says it was made in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, Bond Distillery No. 2 !st Dist of Penna. Produced my A Overholt & Company, Distillery No. 3, 23rd Dist. of Pa.The label says it's 13 summers old, superior quality for medicinal use only.

The back label says Rx Spiritus Frumenti, 100 proof. Distilled by A. Overholt& Co. Disteller no. 3 23rd Dist of PA.

"Caution Notice"

This bottle has been filled and stamp;edd under provisions of the Act of Congress, approved March 3, 1897. entitles An Act to allow the bottling of distilled spirits in Bond" and the provisions of the act of February 17, 1922. Any person who shall reuse this bottle for the purpose of containing distilled spirits, without removing and destroying the stamp affixed to this bottle, or who shall reuse the stamp affixed to this bottle, will be liable for each such offence to a fine of not less that One Hundred Dollars. or more than One Thousand Dollars, and to imprisonment for not more than two years.

BOTTLED IN BOND BY
DOUGHERTY DISTILLERY WAREHOUSE CO.INC.
(illegible) PERMIT NO PA (illegible)
MADE PRIOR TO JAN (illegible) 1920
FOR MEDICINAL PURPOSES ONLY
SALE OR USE FOR OTHER PURPOSES WILL
CAUSE HEAVY PENALTIES TO BE INFLICTED.

THE METAL SEAL MAS PRINTED UPON IT:

U.S. PAT-CAN. PAT- MEX PAT 1926
#1481035-#244403 ---#26571

MADE IN USA
Jim Lumley

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:24 pm

How have you concluded that it is 100 years old?
Deactivated Member

Postby Jim Lumley » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:41 pm

Perhaps I've got it wrong, I'm not a collector. I figured the age this way-the labels states that it was made prior to 1920. It has to be at least 86 years old. I thought that since it was "13 summers old" that the 13 years would be added to the age of the whiskey. Is this correct?
Jim Lumley

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:57 pm

Alas no. The whiskey is 13 summers old and always will be. Once it is bottled, it doesn't age.

From what you have said, the whiskey must have been bottled after 1926 (the date of the patent on the seal), so I guess it was distilled in 1920 and bottled in or around 1933 during prohibition - hence the stuff about medicinal.

You can describe the whiskey as 1920 whiskey, bottled at 13 years old. I don't know about values, but I would have thought it was very collectible.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jim Lumley » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:06 pm

Thank you for your reply. How do we find the value of this whiskey ?
Jim Lumley

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:15 pm

Don't know about value - hopefully others will help.

The illegible bit on the label will say produced prior to Jan 16 1920 - which is when prohibition came into force. Therefore it is not an actual production date. The bottling could have taken place any time from 1926 - 1933 but probably 1933. The claim to be 13 summers old would be trying to re-emphasize that it predates prohibition, rather than indicating quality. Who knows whether the claim is true or not! Perhaps you have a bottle of bootleg!

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States
Deactivated Member

Postby misa » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:57 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Alas no. The whiskey is 13 summers old and always will be. Once it is bottled, it doesn't age.

Actually it does age. It just doesn´t mature anymore. At least not in the same way it did in wood.
misa

Postby Jim Lumley » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:20 pm

We got $250 for it on e-bay
Jim Lumley

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:16 pm

FWIW, I recently tasted an example of this bottling, distilled in 1919 and bottled in 1930 (I think). It was pretty much what one expects from a 100-proof rye, but with the oily mouthfeel of much whiskey from the pre-chill-filtering era, from the fusel oils left in the whiskey that today get filtered out. In fact, that is the chief difference I've found in my several chances to taste pre-Prohibition whiskey -- that distillers of that day certainly knew how to make good, solid distillate, but the production methods resulted in a slightly more congeneric product.
Deactivated Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder