Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Please help appraise / comment: McLaren's 1878 Scotch Whisky

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Please help appraise / comment: McLaren's 1878 Scotch Whisky

Postby Pascal » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:57 pm

A friend has recently shown me a bottle that was handed down to him from his family. He is not a whisky collector, neither is he an amateur, but we are both curious to find out what you guys have to say about this bottle. Pardon the picture quality, this was taken quickly with the bottle on the counter top at his house!

The labels are in surprisingly good condition. There has been about 1.5oz of evaporation from what we can see. Any comments??

Bottle Neck: V.V.O.

Main Label:
Mc Laren's Scotch Whisky
"Guaranteed Over 25 Years Old"
"Established 1841"
John A. McLaren, Distiller
PERTH.

Bottom label:
"The Canadian Government stamp over the cork in this bottle guarantees that the spirit was distilled in the year 1878"

Pascal

Postby Iain » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:44 pm

McLaren didn't make "Scotch" whisky in Scotland, but in Canada it seems.

http://globalgenealogy.com/LCGS/articles/A-LESLIE.HTM

http://www.town.perth.on.ca/files/%7BE2 ... 7DTRT3.pdf
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:47 pm

Very interesting! Obviously the SWA hadn't latched onto this yet! Perth is indeed a town in eastern Ontario, on the River Tay and near, if memory serves, the Rideau Canal. "Scotch" or not, anything that old is interesting. Wouldn't it be fun to open it up and give it a try! Don't know what your friend has in mind, Pascal, but if he can get a value for it, it might be suitable for a charity event. Or of course he could sell to a collector.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:17 pm

I'd be very suspicious of the foil over the cork, the condition is too good and it looks too new to me to fit in with the rest of te bottle???? But then again it may just be the picture

Is it a lead foil (i.e. a heavy foil) that would give it a bit of age.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Pascal » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:52 pm

Good point on the foil, will have to check that. In fact I don't remember if there are any markings on the top either. I don't know in what conditions the bottle was kept through its life either, but if it was in some sort of a closed display case then I'm not so surprised of its great condition...

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming! I will pass along a link to this thread to the owner of the bottle. :)
Pascal

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder