Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

any 1940's - 1960's whiskies?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

any 1940's - 1960's whiskies?

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:09 am

Dear all,

Do any of you possess old whiskies bottled between 1940's and 1960's? I am asking this in relation to a question I posted in the Q&A section. It would be interesting to know the alcohol percentage of such whiskies and how does the liquid appear in the bottle, cloudy or clear.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:39 am

Hi MRJ, I have several Irish whiskies and they are generally pure pot still whiskies and between 43-46% and I even have one miniture bottle dated to at the lastest the 30's but possibly the 20's.

In relation to the whiskey it all appears to be clear with no deterioration but that can only be decided by tasting really.

However I have noticed that some blends that I have from the 70's and early Eighties have sediment which I thought to be caramel but if the used amounts are so small as some experts say I may be wrong .... but still there is sediment ????
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:32 am

I recently finished a 1940-distilled W.L. Weller Bottled In Bond (100 proof U.S.) bourbon, and have open currently Old Overholt 100-proof rye from the early-'60s; 1952-distilled Old Heaven Hill 86 proof bourbon; 1941-distilled Old Grand-Dad BIB (100 proof); 1959-distilled Old Crow bourbon; and possess unopened bottles of 1957-distilled Old Grand-Dad BIB (100 proof) and 1956-distilled Very Old Fitzgerald BIB (100 proof). All of the open bottles have been very drinkable (some are/were fabulous!), and the unopened ones appear to be pristine, with no clouding or sediment.
Cloudiness in an unchilled state in any of these whiskeys likely would indicate some sort of outside contamination, which probably would render them unpotable.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi M.R.J., I have a (as I was told), a late 60's distilled Bruichladdich 10 year old. It's a 750ml, 43% and the color is not only beautiful, but totally clear.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder