Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Grandma's cabinet-1974 Johnny Walker Black Label- valuation

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Grandma's cabinet-1974 Johnny Walker Black Label- valuation

Postby djohnston » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:23 am

My long-time girlfriend's aged grandmother recently gave us a bottle of scotch as a present. It is a Johnny Walker Black Label, retailed in (I think) 1974 in Australia, and is unopened with the outer cardboard box still in good condition showing a fine fellow on the front.
If it is valuable then we will sell it and surprise her Grandma by returning the proceeds in the form of a new sofa by way of a present. If not then it was worth a try. Please could someone put a rough valuation on this bottle for me? Or point me to a site that may contain valuations? And what is the best process to sell these items- ebay?? Clearly I have no idea what this kind of item is worth but a few pointers would be appreciated, even if it is breaking the bad news that it is only worth a few quid as a kitsch bookend.

Thanks,

Greenhorn
djohnston

Postby adogranonthepitch » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:34 am

AUS $100 tops for JW Black label.

Open it and get drunk. :D
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:28 am

It would be no harm trying it on Ebay at a min price of $100 and see how you get on, playing up on the age etc....

However as adogranonthepitch has said you'd probably be better off drinking it.

There is not a huge collectors market for blends unless they are really really old.
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:01 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:There is not a huge collectors market for blends unless they are really really old

irishwhiskeychaser I think you would be suprised at the collectors market for anything branded "Johnnie Walker"...
The suggestion at putting it on ebay for starting bid of $100 would be a good starting point.

And welcome to the WhiskyMag forum too djohnston :wink:
Cheers!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:32 pm

You might have a point BI I don't really follow the scotch collectable market too closely. JW does have a big following I suppose but I was just highlighting the fact that it is not a hugely valuable bottle. It would be unfair to get dj too excited about this bottle really however it would be a bonus if it sells well.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Arthur Motley » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:08 pm

Yep, there is definitely people out there interested in old blends, not just to collect but also to open and drink and compare to current versions.
Arthur Motley

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:28 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I was just highlighting the fact that it is not a hugely valuable bottle...

Yes, I do agree with you... :wink:

Arthur Motley wrote:Yep, there is definitely people out there interested in old blends, not just to collect but also to open and drink and compare to current versions

Arthur good point indeed! I recently acquired an old bottle and I hear now that there is a new release of this bottle(or at least a fairly similar blend). If I hadn't purchased the old bottle I wouldn't have cared much for the getting the new release. However I should note that I didn't have intentions on drinking the old bottle but I would like to get the newer release, mainly for collective purposes...
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder