Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Found Another bottle from 1915 or slightly earlier; Regalia

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Found Another bottle from 1915 or slightly earlier; Regalia

Postby rye_n » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:12 am

I found this bottle of Regalia close to the spot I found the bottle of Hudson's Bay Company Whiskey mentioned in this thread: http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4883&sid=b8bc5cf9023c569f2a207d16ef8fa957

Here's the text on the front of the bottle:

Regalia
Very Old Specially Selected
Scotch Whiskey
Dublin - Paris - Antwerp
Wallace Moir
Glasgow

Here's are some pictures.
Since I found the new bottle I have looked very thoroughly in all the open floor joists in the back of the house. I am now tempted to expose the floor to the front of the house to see if I can find anything else, but it will cost a lot of time and money, and is not in the renovation plan or budget. If I had at least a rough idea of the value of these bottles, I might be able to justify doing the extra work if it was worth it, since I would sell any extra bottles I may find. Although I'd really be upset to do it to find nothing else...

-Ryan
rye_n

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:39 am

Ryan, while these bottles are certainly of historical interest, especially with the labels being in as good condition as they are, I wouldn't think they would be worth a whole lot, as they likely would if they were full; so don't go pulling up floorboards if profit is the motivation. Just my guess--wouldn't be the first time I was entirely wrong, but that's what I would think.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:32 pm

With all the empty whisky bottles found beneath your floorboards just be glad your house is still standing after 90 years... :shock:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:58 am

TheLaddie wrote:With all the empty whisky bottles found beneath your floorboards just be glad your house is still standing after 90 years... :shock:

Yea :lol: gives you the impression that the builders were drinking on the job :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby rye_n » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:52 am

TheLaddie wrote:With all the empty whisky bottles found beneath your floorboards just be glad your house is still standing after 90 years... :shock:

Yeah; that's what crossed my mind a few times after discovering the bottles. They sure built houses different back then. We've had a few surprises when we have opened up walls, floors and ceiling to discover the framing is very different to how they are build now. But ovrall the house was actually well built, the main problem we have been having is crappy prior renovations and lack of up keep over the years.
-Ryan
rye_n

Postby rye_n » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:57 am

I forgot to mention; we are now planning to run all new duct work for the new high efficient furnace and are likely to open up more of the ceilings. So there is a chance we may come across more bottles. I'll keep you guys posted to what happens.

Some of the other stuff we have found so far is news paper from 1912, 1937, 1943, 1950.
-Ryan
rye_n

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:16 pm

rye_n wrote:I forgot to mention; we are now planning to run all new duct work for the new high efficient furnace and are likely to open up more of the ceilings. So there is a chance we may come across more bottles. I'll keep you guys posted to what happens.

Some of the other stuff we have found so far is news paper from 1912, 1937, 1943, 1950.
-Ryan

Make sure you wear a hard hat then. It'll be raining bottles...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder