Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What will be the next Black Bowmore?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

What will be the next Black Bowmore?

Postby Onefortheditch » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:02 pm

The Black Bowmore seems to be a whisky collector/investors dream!!

I don't know the full story (if anyone can tell me why it's the "infamous" Black Bowmore, I'd like to know??), but the auction prices now are amazing given it could be bought in 93/94/95 for less than £100.

What's your tip for a special edition whisky to be "the next Black Bowmore" and increase in value very quickly?

(So I can go out and buy one!!! :lol: :lol: )
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Thesh » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:11 pm

If I knew, I wouldn't tell you.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:08 pm

theres a few bottles that are getting very hard to find that are going to shoot up in the next few years, but its like stocks and chares, you cant be sure and also, you always keep a good tip to yourself....

i would say i dont think the run the hazelburn 1st edition has had has finished, espesially if youve got the complete set, why am i tell you this if i wont tell you other i fell, wel, i got enough of them and i aint seen any in shops for months.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby kildalton » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:07 am

In my opinion a bottle that will see a good price increment is Ardbeg very young and all the following ...Still Young and Almost there.
I don't think they'll rise so much a sBlack bowmore but you should consider the big difference (in the first case they were bottles from the sixties).
One bottle that has risen is Ardbeg Kildalton, now it's a lot more costy than the time I bought it from distillery.
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:13 am

Any anniversary malt from a distillery with a good reputation. Any limited Ardbeg.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:57 am

Thanks Thresh. :wink:

Moving on, I agree the Ardbegs will do well kildalton. :)

And I'll check oot the Hazelburn v7

My search on Black Bowmore here on the forum shows that people who have tasted it have really liked it. I've seen the box and the bottle from a distance and they looked quite impressive. But did it have a story which made it so collectable? :?:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:42 pm

I drank loads of it for the amazingly high price of ..........C$12 a shot. I think the Ardbeg 1977 might be a contender but the market has changed so much since the time of Black Bowmore. There was very little choice in those days and now there is simply loads of choice of similar limited editions.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby dram_time » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:21 am

Not too sure about Ardbeg Very Young, it seems we all have one or two tucked away somewhere. I bought two this time last year, and another in the summer from bamber so I could drink the last one of mine and have one left to hang on to.

I saw a Very Young on ebay last night for £50 starting price, a bit hope full I think,

I am hoping that the 70’s Ledaig’s will do well as they get rarer??

I always expected bottles around £40-£80, limited special editions would do best at rising in value, being cheap enough for most to drink, but I guess I will have to wait a few years, (that contradicts what I said about Ardbeg VY !!)

At least if a malt falls in value, you can always drink it!! (unlike shares!!)

Dt.

EDIT... For spelling. Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby dram_time » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:19 am

dram_time wrote:Not too sure about Ardbeg Very Young, it seems we all have one or two tucked away somewhere. I bought two this time last year, and another in the summer from bamber so I could drink the last one of mine and have one left to hang on to.

I saw a Very Young on ebay last night for £50 starting price, a bit hope full I think,

OK. I take back this comment, some one bought a bottle of Ardbeg Very Young on ebay for £84 + £10 postage on the 6th Dec.

I bet you can find this some shops still, I know of one shop that had one in England last month still on the shelves priced at £30, but postage was the killer so didn’t buy it. Might be worth the extra postage costs now??

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Whiskana » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:25 am

dram_time wrote:OK. I take back this comment, some one bought a bottle of Ardbeg Very Young on ebay for £84 + £10 postage on the 6th Dec.

I bet you can find this some shops still, I know of one shop that had one in England last month still on the shelves priced at £30, but postage was the killer so didn’t buy it. Might be worth the extra postage costs now??

Dt.

Incidently I just bought one bottle from Hamburg for 48 euros. I recall this is for sale even in Finland for 55 euros or so...? There is some good deals to be done on eBay, I see... :roll:
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby corbuso » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:04 am

dram_time wrote:
I am hoping that the 70’s Ledaig’s will do well as they get rarer??

At least if a malt falls in value, you can always drink it!! (unlike shares!!)

Dt.

EDIT... For spelling. Dt.

For the 70's Ledaig's I am afraid not. They recently decreased quite sharply the price of the 1972 OB...

Corbuso
----------
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:59 am

It's already gone up, but the Port Ellen Maltings would have been a great buy.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:46 pm

The Ardbeg Young Uigeadail has done real well, instantly, fetching triple it's asking price! Nice one!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:25 pm

An exact analogy to Black Bowmore would be difficult - the think with Black Bowmore was that it was an unknown phenomenon for a premium whisky to shoot up so far, so fast. Now it has happened once, people will speculate on the next one, and anything that looks promising will get bought up and hoarded in large numbers so it won't shhot up. The Oogling might have gone up quickly, but it started from a low base and this will mean more collectors can afford to get involved.

If the key factors of Black Bowmore were: 25+ years old; priced at c£200 of today's money; extravagantly packaged; distinctive name; not expected to skyrocket - then I guess then the next equivalent is likely to be a super premium bottling of a relatively unfashionable distillery that subsequently picks up a cult following. Bruichladdich - it could be you!
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:36 pm

I think Highland Park will also be another. It's already a collectable, not cheap distillery, but being owned by the most valuable and collectable company in whisky, Macallan, I think they could easily move Highland Park to the same or somewhat similar status. 'If you can't yet afford Macallan, go with Highland Park' could be a good advertising campaign.
Di Blasi

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:50 pm

Going by consumer determination...

I would have to say Ardbeg or Bruichladdich but wait!!
I have a prediction...there is a smaller company on the Isles that may be the next in line to see a massive jump in their collectability...
If this company brings out a single malt/single cask that could rival the Black Bowmore on it's colour and rarity then I predict that it will go further in value than the BB

IMHO the BB gains it's value in obviously the rarity of the malt and without a doubt the colour of the whisky...
How many of you bought a Loch Dhu for over 100Pound?? Did you buy it for the taste...or the colour?? I know which one!! 8)
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:28 pm

I think the experts are going to decide that bunnahabain is indeed a great distillery after all.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:24 pm

I tried the Bunnahabhain 25 at WL Glaschu and it was astonishingly good. But not peaty. Hence probably an 85 in the new Whisky Bible. :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:48 pm

I will reiterate my feeling that, by the time everyone is talking about collectibility, as we are here, it is too late. The shrewd collector must stay ahead of the curve. When lots of people are trying to get in, that's the time to sell. When they all realize there's no one to sell to, the market will drop.

I bought tech stocks in '99. :oops:
Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:18 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I will reiterate my feeling that, by the time everyone is talking about collectibility, as we are here, it is too late. The shrewd collector must stay ahead of the curve. When lots of people are trying to get in, that's the time to sell. When they all realize there's no one to sell to, the market will drop.

I bought tech stocks in '99. :oops:

That’s exactly right Mr T.

when everyone wants one, its too late. Most of the rise in price will have been made, and it will be the lucky people who already have the bottles that will be making the money.

Just got to spot the golden opportunity, that’s all.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:42 pm

In fact, if I were looking for the next collecting opportunity, I'd ask everyone here to get the consensus advice, and then do something else!
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:48 pm

That's a cliché that doesn't always hold true. They say if you've heard about a trend, you're already too late. This hasn't proven to be the case in tech stocks before the fall. The truth is that there is more risk for less gain the later you get in on the action. But that doesn't mean you can't pick winners that have already left the gates.

People spotted that you could earn lots of money by buying Irish property 10 years ago, and people have been making money on the same thing right up to today.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:50 pm

...Old Comber 30 was originally for sale for about £30 in 1990s. A while ago you could get it for about £200 (probably still can). However, a bottle was sold on eBay for £950 just the other day.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:19 pm

Aidan wrote:...Old Comber 30 was originally for sale for about £30 in 1990s. A while ago you could get it for about £200 (probably still can). However, a bottle was sold on eBay for £950 just the other day.

And as I have said before. I bought a bottle at £30 in Knock Winemark; drank half of it and poured the other half down the sink.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:22 pm

Aidan, you're right of course, and my comments are necessarily simplistic. But the trick is knowing when to get out. As I mentioned, I bought into a tech-oriented mutual fund in '99. If I'd sold three months after I got in, I'd have made a handsome profit. The value now, seven years on, is about two-thirds of what I bought in at--a dumb choice on my part, in perfect hindsight. (I keep thinking I'll cash it in when I need a tax loss.)

Of course, the dynamics of the real estate market will be different from those of the collectible whisky market, and different again from the Beany Baby market. There are always opportunities, even in a falling market. But I think at this point the PC5's and Ardbeg Ooglings are the exception. The whisky market has changed an awful lot in ten years, and the chances of latching onto another Black Bowmore are pretty slim. Very few people were looking for anything like that then, and within a few years, a lot of people were. That change is precisely what made BB so collectible and valuable. Unless you foresee continued rapid growth in the market, those conditions can't be replicated. I wouldn't bet on it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:06 pm

Mr. T, yeah, that's true. If someone was going to invest, they'd be better off accepting modest gains. The Irish property market will probably crash at some stage too.

And I'm with you with the tech stock. I bought shares in Baltimore Technologies and Trintech. Both are at a tiny fraction of what I bought them at.

Nick, it's another eBay anomoly. You can still pick it up at some retailers for about £300. £950 is crazy money. I bought a bottle for about £120 a year or so ago.
Aidan

Postby martin grant » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Nick Brown wrote: The Oogling might have gone up quickly, but it started from a low base and this will mean more collectors can afford to get involved.

Good to know Ardbeg still produces affordable limited editions
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby shane » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:10 pm

I reckon the Port Ellen original bottlings will be very desirable in the next few years. I could be wrong but I would say they are very close to the end of their stocks at Diageo. Good luck
shane

Postby vitara7 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:36 pm

the first edition port ellen from diagios premium range is just going up all the time, one finished for £240 odd the other day.
i bought one of them in co op in berwick upon tweed last year for £69...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:09 pm

Hmm... what about the SC Ardbeg '72 that JM reputedly scored at 97 points in the 2007 Bible ?
Jan
Gold Member

My tip

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:58 pm

Its the Black Bruichladdich!! :wink:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:45 am

Well, anyone in London should visit "The Vintage House" in Soho. It is a great whisky shop to browse, housing, i believe, a variety of malts numbering in the 1000s, and a very friendly(and generous-with-samples-oops -i-shouldna-said-that!) salesman called Keith.

At the back of the shop there is a locked glass cabinet in which there is a magnificent display of rare malts, the cheapest being around £200. The Ardbeg '77 is in there...as are Macallans dating back to the forties.

But there, in the center, taking pride of place in its open wooden box, complete with plaque and legend(and a few cobwebs) lies...Black Bowmore!!

Go and stare! Be amazed! Dream on...and if you happen to have around £4000 in loose change in your pocket...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:42 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Well, anyone in London should visit "The Vintage House" in Soho. It is a great whisky shop to browse, housing, i believe, a variety of malts numbering in the 1000s, and a very friendly(and generous-with-samples-oops -i-shouldna-said-that!) salesman called Keith.

At the back of the shop there is a locked glass cabinet in which there is a magnificent display of rare malts, the cheapest being around £200. The Ardbeg '77 is in there...as are Macallans dating back to the forties.

But there, in the center, taking pride of place in its open wooden box, complete with plaque and legend(and a few cobwebs) lies...Black Bowmore!!

Go and stare! Be amazed! Dream on...and if you happen to have around £4000 in loose change in your pocket...

Or, for those of us stateside, if you wish to have a peg, go to the Dundee Dell in Omaha Nebraska, Peg for $200.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:04 am

Reggaeblues wrote:At the back of the shop there is a locked glass cabinet in which there is a magnificent display of rare malts, the cheapest being around £200. The Ardbeg '77 is in there...as are Macallans dating back to the forties.

Are you sure about these prices, they are extortionate!
The Ardbeg '77 should currently sell for around €170 to €210 (that's about 120 GBP to 140 GBP)

The Black Bowmore around €2000 to €2500 (1400 GBP to 1700 GBP).

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Macallantrader » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:28 pm

Bruichladdich Blacker Still is the one....

Also Macallan ECS series is worth getting a hold of.
Macallantrader

Next

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder