Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Information on whisky bottle over 50 yrs old

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Information on whisky bottle over 50 yrs old

Postby jparker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:49 pm

Ihave an old bottle of William Teachers and Sons Scotch Whisky from Glasgow also (see same posting on here) yet there is no date on it? :roll: Does anyone have any idea how I would go about getting some more information on this, or getting it valued? Or do you know of any other similiar bottles of scotch which have been sold recently? Labels dont say alot apart the usual: teachers highland cream, bottled in scotland, perfection of old scotch whisky' reverse of bottle is vream & black label picture of a teacher (obviously) Not even a price on it?? Any comments welcomed.[/list]
jparker

Postby corbuso » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:15 am

if you would have a photo, I might be quite helpful. Labels have change over time, such as the type of corks which allows to make some age estimation.

Regards

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:42 am

As Teacher's is still widely available there would be no real value but for the label variation...
I'm not saying there may be someone out there whom would pay a higher price for a bottle that has a different label/printing but I wouldn't think the price would be much higher than what the whisky currently sells for on the shelves.

If you have an old bottle, best thing to do is check and see if it's still available from liquor outlets. If the bottling is still available but there is a variation in the label, then you would expect to get probably no more than 20-30% on the current retail price - That's just my observation. Also it depends a lot on the actual whisky inside too - Unfortunately Teacher's is not one of the highest(top 5-10) blends sold around the globe and as a consequence an old bottle of Teachers probably wouldn't even get 20-30%...?? But you never know... :wink:
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:50 am

A picture would greatly help if you could arrange other wise it could be any date. Does it have a cork or screw cap. If screw cap is it regular type or the glossy long stylised gold plastic one. There are so many variables that you need to describe that a picture is your best bet.

This is a regular bottle of Teachers.

If it is anything like this even if it looks old it probably will not reach even current retail market prices.

Also check the Whisky Exchange as they sometimes have similar old bottles of blends etc

Their web address is

http://www.thewhiskysociety.com/
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby marvana » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:26 am

My neighbor has an old wood round "barrel" he purchased in 1966 with "Wm Teacher and Sons" stamped on the bottom. It's maybe 8-10" high and it's full of Scotch, never opened, and haning from the a top is a probiscus to puncture the top of the barrel so you can drink the scotch. It's quite interesting and unique. He may have purchased it in Europe (he's retired military) but I didnt ask him. Wondered if there was any value in this item? I can get pic if anyone is interested in helping me out on this item. :roll:
marvana

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder