Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Johnnie Walker 1820 Commemorative Decanter.

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Johnnie Walker 1820 Commemorative Decanter.

Postby BigJ » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:10 pm

I posted on here before to try and see if any one would know how much this is worth. But didn't have any pictures of it. I work for Diageo and was giving this as a gift. It is Johnnie Walker 1820 Commemorative decanter to celebrate 50 years of manufacturing at the hill street site. Can any one tell me how much this is worth?

BigJ

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:15 pm

ive never seen one like it before, but going on the likes of other staff bottles, there will be a demand for it from some collector or another.

you say you work for diagio in killie, you able to get staff discounts on stuff ;)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:45 pm

Wow, the 'war of the decanters' is alive and well; I guess we've reached the proliferation stage.... :twisted:
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:33 am

It would look good in my dining room. Thats for sure.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:34 am

That is a nicely presented Decanter!

BigJ...without stating the obvious but you work for Diageo, would you yourself not be the best person to know of the value of the Decanter?? For unless anyone else on the forum works for Diageo and also has the decanter, I would assume that no one here would know of the exact value(let alone what's inside). Have you asked your bosses??

I would think it to have a value maybe around 100Pound?? Mainly due to the fact that it's an 'employee only' bottling. No doubt it would appeal to an avid Johnnie Walker collector. I thought I saw one of these on eBay not too long ago, but I can't be sure it was the same as your one.
My advice...Hold onto it and I would think it will increase quite well in value over the next few years(from an investment point of view) or you could simply drink it :wink:
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

1820??

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:38 am

BigJ...where is the reference to '1820'??
I see '56, '06, 50yrs...but no 1820?? :? :?
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:16 pm

I would reckon 100pounds is a min estimate as JW Blue over 100poud as it is.

Big J have you anymore info.
Info on where the decanter was made.
How old some of the whiskies in used are,
is it an equivilent to JW blue or better etc.

Once you have this sort of info people can start putting a value on it.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby BigJ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:25 pm

TheLiquorBaron wrote:That is a nicely presented Decanter!

BigJ...without stating the obvious but you work for Diageo, would you yourself not be the best person to know of the value of the Decanter?? For unless anyone else on the forum works for Diageo and also has the decanter, I would assume that no one here would know of the exact value(let alone what's inside). Have you asked your bosses??

I would think it to have a value maybe around 100Pound?? Mainly due to the fact that it's an 'employee only' bottling. No doubt it would appeal to an avid Johnnie Walker collector. I thought I saw one of these on eBay not too long ago, but I can't be sure it was the same as your one.
My advice...Hold onto it and I would think it will increase quite well in value over the next few years(from an investment point of view) or you could simply drink it :wink:

There is no set price because it is not a sale item. My friend just sold one for £450 on ebay.
BigJ

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:27 pm

well you know more than us and id say its worth £450, but you knew that allready.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby BigJ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:31 pm

vitara7 wrote:well you know more than us and id say its worth £450, but you knew that allready.

The thing is I think it might be worth more. My friend that sold it offered it to the guy on ebay. this is a guy that buys and sells whisky. My friend said £450. and the buyer said fine. Didn't try to haggle. This is why I think it might be worth more
BigJ

Re: 1820??

Postby BigJ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:32 pm

TheLiquorBaron wrote:BigJ...where is the reference to '1820'??
I see '56, '06, 50yrs...but no 1820?? :? :?

There is an official letter that comes with it.
BigJ

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:57 pm

badams might want it. :wink:
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby BigJ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:12 pm

peergynt323 wrote:badams might want it. :wink:

Badams?
BigJ

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:15 pm

I think we all might want it.

les taylor

Postby BigJ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:57 pm

les taylor wrote:I think we all might want it.

How much would you say it's worth?
BigJ

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:46 pm

BigJ wrote:
les taylor wrote:I think we all might want it.

How much would you say it's worth?

After this lot finish with it ... I'd say not much :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:06 pm

BigJ wrote:
vitara7 wrote:well you know more than us and id say its worth £450, but you knew that allready.

The thing is I think it might be worth more. My friend that sold it offered it to the guy on ebay. this is a guy that buys and sells whisky. My friend said £450. and the buyer said fine. Didn't try to haggle. This is why I think it might be worth more

But if he sold one on Ebay, the price was fixed by a bid and there is no room for negotiation.
:?:

You could always watch out to see if it appears for sale again and what price it is offered at, if he is a whisky dealer that would want to sell it onwards.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby BigJ » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:59 pm

He put it up as a fixed price and no one bought it. But the guy that bought it contacted him and siad if he put it back up he would buy it.

Malt-Teaser wrote:
BigJ wrote:

But if he sold one on Ebay, the price was fixed by a bid and there is no room for negotiation.
:?:

You could always watch out to see if it appears for sale again and what price it is offered at, if he is a whisky dealer that would want to sell it onwards.

MT
BigJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:05 am

OK, thanks for the clarification.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby forrix » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:09 pm

I seen that decanter go on ebay for £511.50
Quite a few folk at the diageo site in kilmarnock have been following it, and I think quite a few more decanters will follow. :lol:

Johnnie Walker 1820 is a special blend, it stopped being produced about 6 years ago and mainly was for the asian market.
So I see that there would be quite alot of interest for the decanter.
forrix

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder