Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How did your collection start?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

How did your collection start?

Postby r900p » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:45 am

Just been going through the 'show your inventory thread' and somebody suggested a thread about how'd your collection start. Was wondering if one exists if it doesn't i thought i'd make a start.

Reason 1, for my 18th i was bought a hogs head of Bruichladdich, which stemmed me in the direction of Bruichladdich and Islay.

Reason 2, my uncle was a keen whisky man, when he heard i'd got the hog's head he whisked me and some pals straight up to Islay, after he died i was left his large collection of miniatures and some bottlings, and a subscription to the whiskymag to keep track of things.

Both combined persuaded me to carry on his small legacy and expand.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:51 am

My collection started when my drinking couldn't keep up with my buying. :wink:
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:28 am

peergynt323 wrote:My collection started when my drinking couldn't keep up with my buying. :wink:

Same here. I keep being tempted to try new distilleries or just have to have the new Ardbeg even if I have 5 Ardbeg OBs open already. Attending tastings doesn't help much either. I look after my liver better than I do my wallet.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:40 am

I get occasional perks from certain duty-free shops by virtue of being in the travel industry, and I travel to Scotland every year. I've always considered both situations to be potentially temporary, and to be taken advantage of for as long as they last; that was my original justification for letting bottles pile up. Damned if I know what it is now, except that I want them. I consider it an inventory, not a collection.
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:45 am

peergynt323 wrote:My collection started when my drinking couldn't keep up with my buying. :wink:

Haha, Same here! :D

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:09 am

As with many people, my collection started some 12-15 years ago when I decided to keep a bottle from each distillery whose whisky I enjoyed.
In this manner, the collection grew quite slowly and comprised some pretty standard bottles. As I became more adventurous, I also noticed that after some time, some of the bottles were gaining in value.

This caused me to look more closely at what I was buying and also to tailor my buying more towards investment than drinking.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:49 am

I've had a hard time starting up a 'collection' - which actually is just bottles I haven't had time to drink yet - because of my habit to open them as soon as I buy them. Also the fact that I enjoy my drams in the company of friends have meant that the bottles are emptied faster. And giving away bottles now and then have not helped...

But when I started to move around, all over the country, I've now ended up living in a place where I don't have that many whisky-drinking friends. That have made my shelves go heavy with bottles.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:11 pm

my grandfather worked at a few distilleries in his time and my interest stemmed from there, started collecting miniatures, then thought bugger it, there too fiddly, so got rid of them all and started with big ones instead. now, a few hunderad bottles later, im thinking i should have stuck with the minis, they take up a lot less room.....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:40 pm

My collecting/hoarding started when I realized I would have a hard time drinking all the whisky I was opening. At the time I was working in the Netherlands and every time I came home I would bring a few bottles back with me. I would open them as soon as I got home and try them with my dad and brother. This was a great concept until I realized that not being home very often means that it is hard to finish bottles. After 6 months of this I had about 35 bottles open with hardly anything out of them. Since that time I'm still trying to finish off some of the bottles and I havn't stopped buying whisky so the collection has continued to grow (about 100 unopened bottles). If more people would help me drink what I have open then I would open more of the bottles. I always try to get 2-3 of something so I can drink one then have a couple to save. Since I travel all over I 'm always popping into local stores to see what they have and as everyone knows this can get expensive. I ussually fly home with a bottle or two every week of something I feel that I won't be able to get in Ohio (which is quite a bit). I have also realized how much demand there are for older and limited bottlings and I feel that whisky is a good investment for my money right now. If I buy two and open one to drink then the other one only becomes more valuable, what a concept.

Len
Last edited by lbacha on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:25 pm

I blame you. Yes you, all of you! :wink:

My drinking collection got started when I found this forum and started reading about all the great drams the members tasted and their large collections of interesting bottles.

Before I had one or two bottles at a time - drank 'em and purchased a new one. These was mostly Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg 17 as these were my favourites then. (And I still rate them highly and fondly)

To be honest I had never considered that it would be desirable to have 10, 20, 30 or more bottles at hand and at the time I never saw myself as being one of those with a drinking collection.

But alas, before long I got bitten by the malt bug, and the rest, as they say, is history.

But it has been a great journey so far and I'm looking forward to many years of dramming and to many hours of good companionship here.
(In other words - you are all forgiven.) :D
Jan
Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:24 am

My "not-collecting-just-behind-in-drinking" stash of bottles really started to expand from year 2000 when we went on our first trip to the "homeland of malts".
Actually the first purchases of more than one bottle at a time were done on the way home just south of the german-danish border. It was mainly Islay malts (Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg TEN, Laphroaig 10, Bowmore 12 and a few more of the 6 classic, Talisker 10 and Oban 14).

Before year 2000 I would buy the odd bottle now and then when travelling abroad on business trips. Almost all of them 1l bottles puchased on the way out in the taxfree shop at Copenhagen Airport - again because of a wide selection at reasonable prices.

Eventually my purchases would change to be done at distilleries and shops in Scotland. Now I was mainly on the lookout for more special bottlings not available in Denmark, or if available they would be at a higher price.

In recent years I've been further narrowing my purchase to single cask and cask strength bottlings, mainly from independent bottlers. And the odd distillery bottling now and then. I guess I'm still a "sucker" falling for that "only available at the distillery" sales trick.

Looking at my stash now, I can honestly say, that I'm really getting more and more behind in drinking :wink:

I blame this mainly on the fact that my interest in malts has been steadily growing. The "fuel" has been our yearly trip to Scotland and participating in an increasing number of tastings there and an even higher number of tastings the rest of the year at home.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:31 pm

The seed of a collection germinated in my little brain in 1999 during a trip to Edinburgh. I always enjoyed Whiskey but after a tour of the Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre and could not believe the variety of Scotch whisky. I therefore decided to research Irish whiskey as I was very ashamed that Irish was only Jameson, Paddy, Powers and Bushmills or so I thought. In that time Irish whiskey has seen a bit of a mini renessance and I hope to catalogue it by collecting as much Irish as possible.

I don't collect Scotch though only drink it :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby smokey » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:48 am

I guess my collection started this year because living in Japan, whisky is so cheap that I bought bottles that (to me) would be unaffordable in the states. Then I got started on Japanese whisky. The Yoichi and Hakushu were my first local drams, and since I've found that they are VERY unreasonable outside Japan, I've began increasing my stocks. I guess I really don't have much of a collection. I want to drink everything I have, but I'm not in any rush.

The only whiskies I might end up selling are the Ichiro 'card' series. I speculated they might increase in value because
1. They are good whiskies. ( I like the Ichiro malt 15 very much)
2. They are very limited runs. Usually from 300 to 500 bottles
3. They have playing cards on the bottle, and I fund my drinking by playing poker. I thought maybe someday I'd run into another poker player who just won big and thought it would be cool to drink one of them and give me a ridiculous amount of money for the ability to do so.
4. And I'm moving to Florida, where there are a lot of old people and golf courses. Wherever there are old people and golf courses there are doctors, who might fancy a rare dram they could never find on their own.
smokey

Postby Wave » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:16 pm

I've been drinking single malt whiskies for over 20 years but my collection until about 5~6 years years ago was rather modest at around 10 to 12 bottles, after my 1st trip to Scotland in the Spring of '01 (w/ 3 more trips there since) it's exploded to over 140 bottles (....so far)! :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby forrix » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:20 pm

I started collecting when I started working at one of the bigger distilleries, and didnt know what to get from my monthly allowance.
One of my friends gave me a few nice bottles, for christmas 2 years ago, so since then I started collecting.
forrix

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Run, forrix, run!

Sorry. :oops: Welcome to the forum!
Deactivated Member

Postby forrix » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:06 pm

lol, had to double check where yer from my collegue always shouts the same thing :P
forrix

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder