Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

One year on.

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

One year on.

Postby ABC » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:57 pm

Hello forum members

Just over a year ago I posted a thread about my wife having a baby, and putting down some whiskys for him until he is 21 years old.

Well Joshua is now 14 months old, and is just fantastic :D , he is nearly walking, and is at nursery 3 days a week.

The other good thing is that having Josh got my in to whisky. I have caught the bug in a big way, I now have my own collection that I am very pleased with, and I also enjoy drinking whisky and have got some of my friends in to it.

Josh's collection for his 21st is:
Glenfarclas 30yo
Brora 30yo bottle 1218
Hazelburn 1st edition floor cask still
Macallan woodland estate tree 808
Ardbeg Lord of the Isle
Glendronach 15yo sherry
Springbank 21 yo
Serendipity

My collection
Serendipity x 3
Mortlach 16yo
Ardbeg very young, still young and almost there
Ardbeg 74 cask 2752 bottle 10 of 133
Bruichladdich 91 WMDII yellow submarine
Glenfiddich 12yo toasted oak reserve
Glenmorangie Margaux finish bottle 1624
Bruichladdich 125yo anniversary bottle
Balvenie 21yo port wood, 14yo rum wood,30yo, 25yo
Bowmore 30 sea dragon
Glengassaugh 73 family silver
Against the grain - Dead leg, wax and wane x 2
Bruichladdich 86 20yo blacker still
Loch Dhu black
Hazelburn 2nd edtion
Oddbins bruichladdich reciotte cask
Macallan season bottles 8yo,11yo,15yo
Macallan woodland estate tree 807,806
Rare malts 20yo rosebank 62.3%
Rare malts 19yo st magdalene 63.8%
Rare malts teaninich 64.2%
PC5 x 6 (really pleased i have these)
AH Hirsch 16yo bourbon

My experince of the industry so far have all been very positive, from going to the whisky festival last year and meeting people from all over the world, to very helpful staff in the local whisky shops, who in my experince are very good at helping green collectors get into the hobby.

Most of my collection has been bought in the shops local to me, the only ones I have bought on ebay are the rum wood and the loch dhu, the loch dhu was in greek, but the seller answered all my questions about it, and i believe i have a genuine bottle.

Well i hope to contribute regulary to this forum, and a big hello again to all the people who helped me a year ago (I can rember the irish whisky chaser i think, and a german guy hammer(not mc)).

I have got into balvenie in a big way, and have tried nearly all of the current range, and i just think it is ace, espically the 15yo and the portwood, if I am just playing poker with my friends i will take a bottle of monkey shoulder. I am away to open the rum wood soon, and i am looking forward to it.

The other bottle that i am keeping for the Hatton/Mayweather boxing match in December is the Hirsch bourbon - unknown quantity about this but i enjoy bourbon and this is meant to be a very good one.

If any forum members need help with me sourcing local bottles ie macallan seasonal bottles at cost, oddbins special bottles ie against the grain etc, then i wil gladly help.

Well a big hello again to the forum

cheers
Glen
ABC

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:25 pm

Welcome back, Glen! (Glen ~? You could have your own brand.) Josh certainly has a great inheritance coming--I hope you will be able to instill an appreciation of the stuff in him before he takes possession. Be a shame to see him and his buds drain the lot at one wild birthday party!

Your experience of the industry is not unusual--whisky people are great people. I've made some great friends myself in the past couple years, and have very much enjoyed the company of my fellow posters here. Stick around, I think you will, too.

May I suggest that you enter your location (as specific or nonspecific as you like) in your profile? (Edit: Done, thank you!) That would help jog the memory of those who might like to take you up on your offer. You might also add yourself to the frappr map linked in the "Where Are You?" thread at the top of Whisky Chat.

A child changes your life forever, of course. And getting into whisky at the same time is a double whammy!

Cheers!
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:25 pm

Nice to hear Joshua has such a nice dad, and smart too. Those will be some special whiskies to enjoy when he's 21y. A great start indeed.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: One year on.

Postby choate85 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:07 pm

Hey Glen,
How is the taste on the Macallan 8 year seasonal. I have a bottle, but scared to open it up.
choate85

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 am

Hey hey Collector 57, hey everyone, I'm here! I've been missed I guess! Been busy, not around here much since the format changed way back when, then got so lost, and busy busy starting up Cafe Herman it stole all my time. But I should pop in on occasion shouldn't I?? I do miss it and feel I miss out! Most of my online whisky time is devoted to a few good blogs and shop's sites, a few auctions, and of course our dear Gordon's fantastic
http://www.spiritofislay.net/
Funny how I, every few months, get those notices someone has written since my last post. Anyway, hope you're all well, and I'll have to pop in more often!
Happy holidays to you all, and hope all is great!!!
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Hey hey Collector 57, hey everyone, I'm here! I've been missed I guess! Been busy, not around here much since the format changed way back when, then got so lost, and busy busy starting up Cafe Herman it stole all my time. But I should pop in on occasion shouldn't I?? I do miss it and feel I miss out! Most of my online whisky time is devoted to a few good blogs and shop's sites, a few auctions, and of course our dear Gordon's fantastic
http://www.spiritofislay.net/
Funny how I, every few months, get those notices someone has written since my last post. Anyway, hope you're all well, and I'll have to pop in more often!
Happy holidays to you all, and hope all is great!!!

Hi Jonathan it was great to see you at Gordon's the other night. You have been missed, along with Nick it's good to see you around. I'm glad all is well with you. :thumbsup:
les taylor

Postby Ganga » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:50 pm

Many greetings Jonathan. :D

Glen, nice selection for your child. Hopefully, you will educate your little one as some of those whiskies may be priceless by the time they are opened.

PS. Don't wait another year to come back.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby MacAttack80 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Great collections. Josh should be quite happy with the collection you have started for him. My dad thinks whisky tastes like kerosene. :x
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:58 am

Thanks all! I really should try and get back in the swing of things, been missing you all and the good times around here!!
Di Blasi

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder