Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenroths Collectability

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Glenroths Collectability

Postby r900p » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:07 am

I never seem to read anything on here about Glenrothes. I tried the Select Reserve and really like it so i may start drinking this too, Bruichladdich, HP and now Glenroths i'm moving on!... But from the drinking side and collectability aesthetic and investment are they good?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Re: Glenroths Collectability

Postby jimidrammer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:56 pm

I've got the '74 that seems to be getting hard to find and has gone from $93US to $109US recently. The '72 goes for $209US, up from $199US. I'll have to get one of the '72 as the '74 is phenomenal. Being vintage there are small quantities out there. I've seen an '85 and '89 I believe still available. The '91 is slightly better than the '92 which in turn is just above the Select Reserve, IMHO. I don't "collect" except to the point that I don't drink fast enough, but Glenrothes is a good distillery to explore. The only bad one I've had was a 1990 Signatory that had some poor sherry cask selection for my taste.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Just for once and as a massive change from my usual standpoint, I am coming down in favour of the drinkers as opposed to collectors :shock:

Did you hear me correctly :?

Yes! :shock: :shock:

Glenrothes is an excellent malt, especially when you follow my guideline of 'at least 17 years old'.
That's right, drink it!

There was a time, something like 15 years ago when almost nobody had heard of Glenrothes. It was one of those well kept secrets for a very lucky few.
I was introduced to it by a landlady in the bar of a Manchester hotel which held over 100 different single malts on their shelves. She was a member of various whisky societies, but she personally never drank any whisky, although she could describe to the layman (which I was back then) what each one tasted like. I asked her for something different and described what I looked for in a whisky. She had no hesitation in recommending a Glenrothes and to be honest, it was the best whisky I had tasted up to that day.

Things have changed now, Glenrothes is widely marketed and desired by many whisky drinkers. But that doesn't stop it from being an excellent dram, in fact that's why it's so desirable.

Some of the vintages have certainly become collectors items in a short space of time, mainly because they are so good and of course, limited in number. So, if I put my collector's hat back on, I have to say that if you are selective, Glenrothes bottlings can indeed be excellent investments.
But my goodness, do they taste good!
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby woodhill » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:33 pm

MT

Which bar in manchester was that?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:00 pm

Right in the centre of Manchester (is it Piccadilly?) there are two large hotels almost next to each other, or at least there were .....

One is the Thistle Hotel, excellent but a bit pricey. The other was the Brittania.
The Brittania had (maybe still has) a residents bar and a public bar. One of these had the whisky, but I think the Manageress left long ago and sadly, the whisky selection is no more.

I used to have quite a few customers in Manchester and stayed in either of these two hotels a few times each month.
I can also recommend two excellent restaurants just across the road in Chinatown. Unfortunately neither are Chinese! One is Italian and the other Japanese.
Ar at least they were when I used to visit.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:33 am

Thanks MT,Glenroths may have just joined my shot list of fav malts. I can;t sya becuase its complex or whatever becuase my experience doesn't go that far but the Select Reserve i found amazing and want to try more if i end up keeping a bottle becuase i can't drink it quick enough then so be it, after all i am the only one drinking malt in my house now.

Jimmidrammer i'll watch out for the 92/91.- thanks.

The 70's i'll stay away from...

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:28 am

Don't miss the '74 if you can find it. Worth every penny and I rarely say that. One of my top five. It's what Single Malts are all about. That one magical dram you ca't forget. Good thing I still have two bottles. :wink:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:02 am

jimidrammer wrote:Don't miss the '74 if you can find it. Worth every penny and I rarely say that. One of my top five. It's what Single Malts are all about. That one magical dram you ca't forget. Good thing I still have two bottles. :wink:

I wholeheartedly agree jimidrammer! Actually I didn't know that the '74 was even still available anywhere! Luckily I too have a couple of bottles of it left. :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:58 am

I have four vintages in my own collection and they seem to be ones nobody has mentioned:
1973, 1979, 1987 & 1989

I also have 1961, 1972 & 1978 versions from G&M, with the 1972 being CS at 59.5%.
Three others from 1983 & 1990 (2) make up my own small Glenrothes collection.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:01 am

Rob

There is plenty of Laddy's for you to snap up before you get onto GlenRothes mate !

Dog
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby r900p » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:28 pm

adogranonthepitch wrote:Rob

There is plenty of Laddy's for you to snap up before you get onto GlenRothes mate !

Dog

I know, stopped buying Laddies as i've lost track of what i have coming so i better wait and see before i get anything else. Its gone so crazy. The Glenrothes i'd drink, as trying to collect past editions will be difficult and expensive and i don't know enought about it or the bottles to collect. The 74 may sound like oe to get for a special occasion.

I was planning on getting my Kosher Laddies sent over but i guess i'll have to take a trip over to Julian to see what he has.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:57 pm

Anyone have info on this one?

SCOTT'S SELECTION 1980 GLENROTHES 55.8% abv

Released a few years ago I think.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:04 pm

Thanks for the tip and reminder of this great distillery. Hunting around now and have found a 35y from my birth year 1970 in the Duncan Taylor series Lonach. I wonder if anyone has tasted this particular bottling, or the Lonach series, and your thoughts?
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:58 pm

I can say I'm a Glenrothes fan too and currently have the 1971, 1979, 1984 & 1989.

I also have had the 1978, 1984, 1987 & 1989 x2

The '89 OB was my favourite of them all

also 3 IB's (One and '89, one a 1990 but can't remember the other)

Anyway all I can say is that all the OB's were a joy and unfortunately the IB were far from perfect. One was totally ruined by sulphur :cry: And the others were only average.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby r900p » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:22 pm

So the IB's you stay clear of, thats good to know for the future as i almost bpught an IB today, i didn't recognise the bottler so i left it and spent money on other things.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Whiskybembel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 am

:oops: I have all of the Glenrothes Bottles, because I love Glenrothes. I made a weppage about Glenrothes and since 2 years I am an ambassador. If you are interested, you are invited to visit my webpage and don't hesitate to ask questions about Glenrothes. I apologize, that my webpage is in german language only at the moment, but I am working since one year to translate it in english,too. But, you know, if you not having so much time, it isn't easy. My main interest is, to keep it up to date daily.
If sombody of you next weekend in Munich for the Fair, than you can meet me their or my ambassador colleague Oliver Kisters. I have no Stand buisness on this fair, but you can meet me in this place.

@jimidramer: You find Tastingnotes of this bottle on my webpage. Scroll down the last item in the Menu: Idependend Bottlers -> go to Scotts.
If you having Problems with my German Tastingnotes, than I can send you my Translation.
Whiskybembel

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:43 am

Thanks for your information Whiskybembel.
Are you familiar with Duncan Taylor's Lonach series? I'm curious about their 1970 Glenrothes 35y. Do you have tasting notes?
Di Blasi

Postby Whiskybembel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 am

The Lonach Collection is the worst Glenrothes I ever drunk. It must be filled in bottles, because of low Vol%. I think Duncun Taylor took it in this Range to not make his Name of DT bad.
1970 - 2005 35 years
41,1%
I gave him 3,5 from maximum 10 point :x
Nose: Nothing, just a little bit malty
Taste: Taste like you add too much water. A little bit honey :insane:
Finish:Maximum 5 sec, then gone
1968 - 2004 35 years
40,2%
Got 2.8 Point :x
Nose: Nothing, just a little bit malty and vanilla
Taste: Same like the 70s, too much wood a little bit parfume :insane:
Finish:Maximum of 10 sec, then gone
Last edited by Whiskybembel on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whiskybembel

Postby r900p » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:06 pm

Stefan, great site very easy to use, i can't speak a bit of German but had no problems navigating my way around.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Whiskybembel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Thank you very much.
The Tastingnotes are in english and german. I took the original from Michael Jackson and Jim Murray together with my notes. So not everything is in german. :wink:
Whiskybembel

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi Stefan
I look forward to seeing you at the Praterinsel on Sunday!

How about dropping in to The Arc sometime too!
Deactivated Member

Postby Whiskybembel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Maybe on friday. :wink: On saturday we having an internal Glenrothes meeting after the Fair.
Whiskybembel

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:13 am

Stefan, thanks for your notes and advice, I'll check into a different Glenrothes then! :thumbsup:
Di Blasi

Postby patryk » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:36 am

poze 029.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patryk

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:50 am

Thanks for the foto and welcome to the forums patryk!
Di Blasi

Postby whiskyhibby » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:56 pm

I am drinking both the 91and 94 vintages and they are fantastic, hold their head in any company

As for collectibility I would say yes ( I have added them to my personal collection) they have a few things going for them,beautiful malts with rarity (they are named vintages) and if it all goes horribly wrong then you can drink them, go for it I say!!

Whiskyhibby
whiskyhibby

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:36 am

Anyone compared the '72 and '74 side by side? I love the '74, but the '72 is over twice the price and I would like some perspective before I get it.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Whiskybembel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:38 am

Hi jimidrammer,

I think you are mean the actual Vintage of 1972 and not the old Limited Release?

The 1974 is very smooth from taste and having citrus, honey and floral notes, the 1972 is a little bit more powerful and has the nice orange flavour, more malty and a touch of creamy vanilla.

The "old" 1972 Vintage is full Power Sherry, chocolate, nice raisins and very fruity.

So bottom line we are having 3 total diffrent Vintages. I like all three very much. :D
For all tastingnotes about the Vintages, I recommend to visit my page. Their are a lot of Tastingnotes from different Taster, but as summary they telling similar the same I wrote above.
Whiskybembel

Postby r900p » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:19 pm

Glenrothes 1982 any thoughts, i've got tasting notes off whiskybembels site but wondered how limited etc it is, i can't find any info on it in any of the shops. I understand there are 2 versions 1 96/97 and 98.

Any info would be great thanks.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Whiskybembel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:54 am

Hi Rob,
their are in total 3 different Versions of 1982 Vintage. Why do you think it is more limited than other Vintages? The 1982 is four times more released than the 70s Vintages and 5 times less than the 90s. (Pi x finger) I can't tell you the exact count because it is company confidential, but it is not so much limited as you expect.
Whiskybembel

Re: Glenrothes Collectability

Postby Whiskybembel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:39 pm

Limited Release means that are a couple of Cask filled up as a Vintage. They are much lower in offer than a regular Vintage.
And of course some of the 90's Releases are much more on the market than the releases from 70s. And again, I can't give here or anywhere else the exact count of releases. I apologize. I also can't tell you which one was the most and which one was the lowest Release. Company Confidential. Sorry.

...and please not calculate my 4x, 5x or 3x.. again it was (pi times finger calculation) :wink:

pi = 3.14159265
Whiskybembel

Postby mongo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Whiskybembel wrote:
@jimidramer: You find Tastingnotes of this bottle on my webpage. Scroll down the last item in the Menu: Idependend Bottlers -> go to Scotts.
If you having Problems with my German Tastingnotes, than I can send you my Translation.

well, i couldn't find the tasting notes for this (or any other whisky) on the site--has the site changed? all i could find was this page: http://www.glenrothes-info.de/Glenrothes2/scott.htm but the links take me only to pictures of the bottles.
mongo

Postby Whiskybembel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Sorry about this, but the Scotts are really good. They have the typical glenrothes style and good maturation. Must have a look into my notes where the Tasting Notes are. But from my head they both were excellent. Their are some other IB they are bad, but these stay as good in my head. Hope this help a little bit at the moment?
Whiskybembel

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder