Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Heads up - incoming HP

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Re: Heads up - incoming HP

Postby orangedogofglory » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:32 pm

UUNetBill wrote:Good God. . .

Can we lock this thread already?!?

fantastic comic there Bill! :lol:

By the way, I'd offer to buy a QoS for US$200 - any sellers? :P :P :yuk:
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Seven bottles of HP sounds like your hoover was switched on onto Turbo ...

Even I suck my teeth!
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:06 pm

FeisIslay wrote:

These are the people who will then be willing to pay that bit extra to get these special one off bottles produced solely for the Feis. These are the real collectors, not the ones who want to waste say 1 out of 'X' amount of bottles by drinking it.

I don't normally butt into these long winded discussions but I found the above rather insulting and stupid!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:18 pm

I happen to feel that the degree of a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes he can bring to bear on the same topic.
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:35 pm

easy boys and girls ... its only fermented barley juice.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:36 pm

adogranonthepitch wrote:Seven bottles of HP sounds like your hoover was switched on onto Turbo ...

And since it was limited to one bottle per customer, and since it sold out within hours, and since only eight bottles have been sold on ebay...

...no, surely not...

...it can't be the case that FeisIslay bought six of them himself and is now telling us we should be amazed at the high prices it gets on ebay!
Deactivated Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:37 pm

anyone want one of these baby's?

adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:45 pm

Even Dog believes 7 HP's is bordering ... well how can I say ... an excessive purchase.

... but who am I to say anything?
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:30 pm

I think some of the single cask HP have been wonderful ... and well worth getting your hands on one at the Distilleries RRP.

However to get a single cask HP all I do, while on my annual trip to Holland, is to go to one of 2 shops that I regularly go to and buy a limited edition single cask specially bottled for the Dutch market.

They have at least one every year and it costs all of 60Euro for either a 50cl or 35cl. Maybe I should buy a case load and start a thread with Limited Highland Park bottling.....

On second thoughts no I'll just enjoy the one I bought.

I back Nicks Campaign also but I think ignoring these threads is actually the way to go from here on in.

And Nick is quite right these bottles will fall back in value in the future but it's the people who were naive enough to buy these at inflated prices as investments in the first place are the fools here. So they actually deserve what ever they get out of this.

Nobody ever gained from Hysteria (except of course the authors of hysteria :roll: )
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Nick Brown wrote:And since it was limited to one bottle per customer, and since it sold out within hours, and since only eight bottles have been sold on ebay...

Nick on this HP it was limited to two bottles per customer. It dosen't change much but that was the case.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:37 pm

89 bottles seems awfully light for a 19 yo cask. Did they dump the remainder of the cask into another bottling like the 18?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:40 pm

les taylor wrote:Nick on this HP it was limited to two bottles per customer. It dosen't change much but that was the case.

Apparently that was the initial idea but when they were swamped, they reduced it to one per order and even applied it to orders they'd already accepted.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:44 am

Nick Brown wrote:
les taylor wrote:Nick on this HP it was limited to two bottles per customer. It dosen't change much but that was the case.

Apparently that was the initial idea but when they were swamped, they reduced it to one per order and even applied it to orders they'd already accepted.

Did you still not manage to get your hands on one??

SHAME THAT!!

:P
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:46 am

bamber wrote:FeisIslay,

You sound like a dodgy market seller.

I for one do not welcome you.

You are scum.

Get lost.

"Scum" - honestly, is there a need??

You guys are really starting to hurt my feelings, please dont :lol:

If you guys are that idiotic and naive to think that all the guys on this forum are just "tasters" then you need to open your eyes even more than Nick does.

It would appear Nick has a VERY LARGE queen bee stuck in his bonnet and he cant seem to get it out.

Please do keep the insults going, perhaps i will stop laughing sometime soon!!

:lol: :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:47 am

les taylor wrote:This is a bottle at a proper price.

http://www.balvenie.com/shop/vintage1976.html

What determines a "proper price"??

Would that be what the company/shop/seller decides to charge for it?

or

Would that be what the buyer wants to pay for it?

or

Would that be what the bottle is actually worth, ie the contents, liquid itself without any mark up?

Lets debate that point shall we!!

:angel:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:32 am

Nick Brown wrote:
FeisIslay wrote:Your not actually spoiling anything, iv had 2 enquiries about bottles today already so if anything you actually helping me.

These would relate to the bottles you're not selling, would they?

But as i mentioned before, i havent publicly advertised anything quoting prices, any details on the bottles etc etc. All i have done is mention i was at this years Feis and picked up some bottles which i wouldnt mind parting with to those who could not attend. No big deal really.

Someone involved in this discussion just took a Bowmore off my hands and funnily enough - he only paid cost price.

I guess thats me being a greedy dishonest piece of trading scum then!!

Ha ha!! Honestly, some of these posts are nothing but pure comical

:smoke:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 am

FeisIslay wrote:You are correct in your statement that i am not a collector and i am merely here to make a quick buck. That is why i personally have SEVEN (yes 7) bottle of the Queen of the South.

Looks like a tout to me...
Deactivated Member

Postby fishboy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:41 am

woodhill wrote:
FeisIslay wrote:

These are the people who will then be willing to pay that bit extra to get these special one off bottles produced solely for the Feis. These are the real collectors, not the ones who want to waste say 1 out of 'X' amount of bottles by drinking it.

I don't normally butt into these long winded discussions but I found the above rather insulting and stupid!

I'm a bit behind with this thread, but I agree with woodhill, this was the thing that probably struck me the most. I can't begin to count the number of bottles I've WASTED!!! There was me thinking it was meant for drinking.

This boy really does take the biscuit (and then will probably try to flip the biscuit on eBay!).

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby woodhill » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Nick

I have no real issue with those who drink OR/AND collect expensive or rare whisky, I just hardly feel that to drink a rare limited whisky can ever be thought of as wasting it!

I do collect as well as drink yet fully intend drinking (at the right point in my life) some of my more expensive/rarer bottles.

It is a shame how recently on here the main focal point seems to be $£$£$£ as opposed to the joy of the drink. There is a place for discussions about pricing and values but this is going too far now and it is putting people off!

Peace

J
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:22 pm

Once again I'll echo what woodhill has said.

C57 - I think people should be free to do whatever they want with their whisky. Drink it, collect it, or dab it behind their ears if thats what they prefer. There are many collectors (REAL collectors) on this forum whose opinion and collections i respect (yours included!) What I objected to was being told that drinking rare or expensive whisky was a waste.

One thing that did occur to me...I wonder what the guys at HP who made this stuff 20 years ago would have thought of people paying the sort of prices touted for bottles of this stuff just to sit it in a cupboard?

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Previous

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder