Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Gooderham's Centennial Whisky - unopened Bottle!

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Gooderham's Centennial Whisky - unopened Bottle!

Postby dvandlp » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:57 am

I have come across an old bottle of Gooderham's Centennial Whisky, 25 oz, likely 40% alcohol by volume. It is of course, unopened, still in the white leather or vinyl case with zipper and handle (not sure). Rear label says 15 years old and a registration number of B-0260669. See attached pcitures. The excise label across the cap says E4152835...with a year of 1958! If my math is correct, in 1958, this whisky was already 15 years old - which means the contents were made during the second world war.

There is nothing Id like to do more than crack it open and enjoy an oz or two, but something tells me it is far too valuable to go having some. Does anyone, anywhere have any idea what this might be worth?

Thanking you all in advance,
Dave
IMG_1922.jpg
IMG_1923.jpg
IMG_1926.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dvandlp

Re: Gooderham's Centennial Whisky - unopened Bottle!

Postby woodhill » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:57 am

Hi and Welcome to the Forums.

The thing thats bothering me about this bottle besides the fact it looks as if the seal is cut is that it is celebrating a Centennial btw. 1867 and 1967 so why would it have been produced 9yrs early?

otherwise I have no clue about it.
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby oldrip57 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:19 am

deleted -- duplicated somehow
Last edited by oldrip57 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby oldrip57 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:20 am

Is this the bottle currently on eBay for a starting bid of almost $700?
If so -- lots of luck, and all that -- but I think you won't get a minimum bid. I suspect this bottle wouldn't sell for even $100 at auction. Canadian whisky just isn't all that collectible, you know...
Still, maybe you'll strike gold! :D
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby MacLlyr » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:50 am

I think it is a different bottle than the one on eBay. What is that clown thinking with an opening bid like that for Canadian whisky? :shock: The batch number at the bottom of the back label is different though, and the date for the one on eBay is 1963 on the excise label. What is odd though is that both bottles look as if the seal is cut (so that may just be the way they were packaged). As well it is puzzling why this bottle would have the 1958 date and the other 1963... man that's a long Centennial! :P
MacLlyr

Postby dvandlp » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:42 am

Well, judging by the pictures of mine and the one on eBay, they are the same bottle - just different years, that's all. Both appear to be unopened - that's just how they sealed it back then.

I'll have to monitor the bids for that one on Ebay to see what it ends up selling for - if at all.

Thanks,
Dave
dvandlp

Postby MacLlyr » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:53 pm

If the one on ebay sells, I would say sell yours too! However I personally think that you should drink it and enjoy the fact that you are drinking some WWII era history, don't be afraid to open an expensive bottle.
MacLlyr

Postby Ab Dijkhuizen » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:06 am

I own the same unopened bottle in the same white case and in the original carton. Is there any collector?
Ab Dijkhuizen

Postby kat418 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:17 pm

Just wanted to let you all know that Gooderham's Whiskey was bought out by Hiram Walker sometime around the mid 1950's. Don't know if this will help you value it, but thought maybe it would help since no one seems to know anything about it. The factory building itself is still standing in Toronto. All kinds of info is available on the history of the company elsewhere online. Thanks, hope this helps.
kat418

Postby davidwaugh009 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:48 am

hi,
i have read your post the whisky you are talking about is really awesome with low alchochol level and the best thing of this whisky is that no hangover in the morning so i should recommend to Gooderham's Centennial Whisky

Centennial CO Locksmith
davidwaugh009

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder