Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Johnnie Walker Black 80 yr old

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Johnnie Walker Black 80 yr old

Postby muso71 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:02 am

My name is Troy and this year my Grandmother gave me a bottle of JW Blk that she has had for over 60 years.
When i looked at the bottle it had a cork lid with a foil seal. the bottle is double glass and in good condition for its age.
can you help me to find someone that might know its year of bottling and someone that could help find a value.
muso71@hotmail.com
muso71

Re: Johnnie Walker Black 80 yr old

Postby lohssanami » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:23 am

Welcome to the forums muso!

It would be ideal if you could take some good pictures of the bottle, and someone might be able to help you with some information on the bottle.

Good Luck!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:44 am

Hello Muso. A tip about the age of whisky - the age is taken as the age when it is bottled. If whisky was 8yo and bottled in, say 1948 it is still 8yo, not 68yo. You need to be careful about how you describe it. "Very old bottle of JWB - bottled at least 60 years ago" would work.
Deactivated Member

Postby muso71 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:01 pm

thank you to winston81, Nick Brown, lohssanami. i wasn't expecting a reply for some time. i have attached some pictures of the bottle. any extra ideas.
There is a Printer code on the Glass
SBI54 L 6 U C B?
SB154 L 6 U C B?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muso71

Postby corbuso » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:52 pm

muso71 wrote:thank you to winston81, Nick Brown, lohssanami. i wasn't expecting a reply for some time. i have attached some pictures of the bottle. any extra ideas.
There is a Printer code on the Glass
SBI54 L 6 U C B?
SB154 L 6 U C B?

Don't you have by any chance a photo ofh the cap? It would be of help, as well as of the label.
The quality of the photograph is quite poor (mobile phone), please make sure to take the picutres with good lightning conditions.
Thank you
Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:00 pm

The Royal Warrant should offer some clue as to age - what does it say?
Deactivated Member

Postby sievm » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:41 am

Not wanting to question your story but when did they start batch coding bottles - can't have been 80 years ago.
sievm
Bronze Member

Postby muso71 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:12 am

Sorry for the poor quality photo, all i had at the time. i have taken some more photos and hopefully they are a little better.
one is the Cork and foil wrap, one of the front and and other of the back.
On the foil it has embossed. Patent Pending, Trad Mark, LONDON! 05185--C

The Bottle size is 1 pint 6 fluid ounces

Thanks Again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muso71

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:23 am

What does the Royal Warrant say (the bit below the crest on the front bottom label? It should tell you to whom they are by appointment.
Deactivated Member

Postby muso71 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:49 am

By Appointment To Her Majesty The Queen
Scotch Whisky Distillers
muso71

Postby Iain » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:10 am

muso71 wrote:By Appointment To Her Majesty The Queen
Scotch Whisky Distillers

Queen Elizabeth succeeded her father in Feb 1952 and was crowned 1953. I believe that a king or queen of UK of GB and NI does not grant royal warrants for a period after coming to the throne, but I can't remember how long is that period - 18 months?

Of course Queen Victoria died in 1901...
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby muso71 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:57 am

So would you say it is 50 - 60 years old.

What should it be insured for? $...
muso71

Postby lohssanami » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:12 am

I don't think anyone could give an accurate value until some detailed pictures with very clear images of the whole bottle, front and back, the screw cap and front and back labels.

This is the only way anyone can forward the pictures to knowledgeable folks with expertise in Johnnie Walker bottles.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:36 pm

I found a bottle of JWB with a similar label on another blog site. It was believed to be from the 40s-50s with an estimated value of $100 as of last year. Not sure if this one is older or not; I haven't been able to find any definitive information based on the (somewhat grainy) photos provided. Might be worth a bit more, but I wouldn't bet the bank on it. . .

Just MHO.
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:04 pm

Iain wrote:
muso71 wrote:By Appointment To Her Majesty The Queen
Scotch Whisky Distillers

Queen Elizabeth succeeded her father in Feb 1952 and was crowned 1953. I believe that a king or queen of UK of GB and NI does not grant royal warrants for a period after coming to the throne, but I can't remember how long is that period - 18 months?

Of course Queen Victoria died in 1901...

I suspect this doesn't refer to Queen Elizabeth II or it would say so - I imagine it refers to the late Queen Elizabeth, wife of the late King George VI. But I'm really not an expert. I was hoping for a Royal Warrant that had a monarch's name.
Deactivated Member

Postby muso71 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:18 am

Thank you to everyone that has replied so far.
I have attached some larger close up photos that are quite clear and should help.
From what i can gather the Label Old Scotch Whisky was used between the years 1906-1911 Can anyone help further
muso71

Postby muso71 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:33 am

more pics
muso71

Postby UUNetBill » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:53 am

As I recall, JWB wasn't released as Black Label until 1909, not sure what the original label was. I did, however, e-mail Johnnie Walker for an answer, got a reply that they're referring me to the appropriate person. Will post answers if and when they arrive.
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby jwblesosw » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 am

UUNetBill wrote:As I recall, JWB wasn't released as Black Label until 1909, not sure what the original label was. I did, however, e-mail Johnnie Walker for an answer, got a reply that they're referring me to the appropriate person. Will post answers if and when they arrive.

how did you go did they get back to you? cos i too have this bottle, but just two small difference, 1 mine say produce of scotland rather then bottled in scotland and 2 mine says "same quality throught out the world" but my bottel is from australia, it is the closest i can find for mine so i would really love to know the age thanks
jwblesosw

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder