Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What shall we have???

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Favorite wood maturation

Postby St.Peat » Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:44 am

Hi, all --

We have been buying various whiskies finished or matured in casks, butts and barrels of varying sources for some time now.

There is the ale cask, Islay cask, port pipe, Sauternes cask, Madeira, Chenin Blanc, Côtes de Nuits, herring barrel ... blah, blah, blah [etc, etc, etc].

Now that the practice has been warmly embraced (more or less), what is your favorite non-bourbon wood whisky?

Cheers! Image
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:31 pm

Hard to beat the Lagavulin PX finish, in my humble opinion. And at the other extreme, a toss-up for worst finish between Auchentoshan Triple Wood (if I want slightly whisky-flavoured sherry, I'll make a cocktail) and Caol Ila Calvados Finish (what were they thinking about?)
Gate
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:32 pm

A great finish is the 16 year old Glen Moray Chenin Blanc finish. The extra age and the wood make this a hugely improved whisky over it's chardonnay version and a cracking buy at about £25.

Grant's sherry wood finish is a big improvement on the standard variation as is the Famous Grouse Port wood finish.

A rotten finish is Dufftown 17 yr old matured in Sherry Wood. It's like biting into a burnt welly.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:09 pm

Hi,

My favorite finishes are: Famous Grouse "Islay Cask" finish, There's a nice Fino finsh from Glenmorangie aswell, and the Balvenie 17Y old "Islay Cask" and the 21Y old Port wood from Balvenie are quite nice. Further more the Distillers Edition"" from Talisker is very good..

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:14 pm

I have to agree with you there on the Talisker.I am looking forward to trying the rest of the Classic Malts Distillers Editions.I have a bottle of Glengoyne Scottish Oak I have yet to open, does anyone out there have an opinion on this one?
Deactivated Member

Postby Dana » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:53 pm

Glenmorangie port wood finish is the longest and most complex of the three wood finishes;{ port , sherry and madeira.}in the Glenmorangie line. Here in the USA it is 43percent abv.
While the port finish is one of my favorite glasses ,the madeira wood lacks complexity and length of finish.
Their sherry wood finish is nice but
not unique.
Definitely try Glenmorangie port wood.
It manages to integrate port notes and spiceness.
Dana

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:19 am

Hairball,

Had a chance to taste the Glengoyne Scottish Oak, it's a 17Y old standard, and matured further in Scottish Oak, it's a very nice dram, I'm waiting for the Glengoyne re-fill Scottish Oak.........

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:54 am

I actually prefer the Madeira to the Port. Neither are favorites though.
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ize » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:05 pm

Only thing missing here, would be traditional butter or herring barrels ... eh, herring was mentioned already in first posting. Seriously thinking, I can't figure out reason for rum cask for instance.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:34 am

Does anyone ever mature whisky in anything other than oak? Granted, you wouldn't want to put your spirit in pine unless you like drinking lavatory cleaner, and not all woods will be right for making barrels, but are there whiskies out there which have had time in mahogany, or beech, or elm, or sycamore, chestnut, walnut....? Anyone for sandalwood finish?
Gate
Silver Member

Postby lexkraai » Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:08 pm

Hi Gate

It wouldn't be whisky legally, because whisky has to be matured in oak by law. Having said that, there are stories going around of the odd mahogany and chestnut cask used for maturation .... very hard to get anything solid on this issue!

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby blackkeno » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:56 pm

Greenore is an Irish Single Grain that is rum finished (more like double casked). It took me a while to get used to in because it is so different, but now I really appreciate it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ize:
Only thing missing here, would be traditional butter or herring barrels ... eh, herring was mentioned already in first posting. Seriously thinking, I can't figure out reason for rum cask for instance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:13 pm

Going back to Lex's explanation that whisky cannot legally be called whisky unless it has been matured in oak, that is undoubtedly true for Scotch (Scotch Whisky Act 1988 and Scotch Whisky Order 1990) - but is it true for all whisky? The Act (s.3(1)) defines whisky generally as, among other things, being matured in "wooden barrels" without specifying oak. Is the field still open for Old Chippendale's Mahogany Finish? And what would it taste like?
Gate
Silver Member

Postby lexkraai » Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:57 am

Isn't there a Japanese whisky (called 'Za') which is matured in barrels which are (partly?) made of cedar wood?

Cheers, Lex

[This message has been edited by lexkraai (edited 26 July 2002).]
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:55 pm

Blimey. That would have to be worth trying with a cigar, though. I wonder if "finishing" would work the other way: I've heard of a project to finish French brandy in sherry wood, but does anyone know if anyone has ever matured or finshed another spirit in an ex-Scotch barrel? Springbank finish rum??
Gate
Silver Member

What shall we have???

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:37 pm

Hi folks,

Another Poll. What's more attractive to you tasters, a single malt whisky made from various casks or whisky bottled from only a single cask???

Come on and let us know here on this site...

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby skywalker » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:34 am

hello Erik,

I had a 10 years period of drinking standard botlings. Finally I decided to move to single cask bottlings. My first experiences were really bad, you have to be very critical. From now on I try to taste a whisky at a tasting or pub before buying it. The question is where do you want to go to? The best and the worst whiskies for me were among the single cask bottling, if you want reliable qaulity: Drink standard bottlings.
skywalker

Postby Papa_Lazarous » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:28 pm

I'll have a JD plz ............. mmmmmmm, JD

visit http://www.seraphidian.co.uk/
Papa_Lazarous

Postby Nic Rhodes » Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:33 pm

Skywalker summed it well for me.

Distillery bottling for reliability, single cask for the high notes and low notes. This where is takes some time ad effort.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Tigger » Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:45 pm

Hello everybody.
Standard bottlings are great because you know what you get every time, but single cask bottlings cask can, on the other hand, go above and beyond. E.g. Talisker 25yo or Leapfrog '87 - some of these single/two cask bottlings are truly exceptional. So in short: Standard bottlings are good 'cause you know exactly what you get, but single cask bottlings can be better (if you look hard enough) - How else would you obtain old Springbank these days...
Tigger

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Huurman:
<B>Hi folks,

Another Poll. What's more attractive to you tasters, a single malt whisky made from various casks or whisky bottled from only a single cask???

Come on and let us know here on this site...

Slainte,

Erik</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tigger

Postby Gate » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gate:
does anyone know if anyone has ever matured or finshed another spirit in an ex-Scotch barrel? Springbank finish rum??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was closer than I thought! On going to Cadenheads to get some Campbeltown Loch 25 y.o. before it all goes, I came across Cadenheads Green Label 10 y.o. Demrera Rum matured in an ex-Laphraoig cask. Beezer! Call me a sucker for a gimmick, but I had to get a bottle. Image
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Peatfreak » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:22 pm

why have my previous replies not been posted!
Peatfreak

Postby yorkie » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:24 pm

The supermarket Sainsburys is doing a 15 yr old single Highland Malt in Cognac finish at the moment.

Also doing a similar Claret finish
yorkie

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:21 pm

Cadenheads has the following (taken from The Covent garden whisky Shop site):-
DEMERARA RUM 10Y/O 46% (MATURED IN AN EX
LAPHROAIG CASK)
Nose: Cinnamon, very sweet peat with a Christmas pudding pungency. A Hint
Of smoking leather.

Palate: Surging sweetness. Marzipan flavours almost overwhelmed by sugared
Almonds. A hugely satisfying finish that is peppery and slightly phenolic.
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Rudy » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:34 pm

Hello Erik,

I agree on most if not all, what is said in the previous responses.

But a 'limited' edition of 9000 Talisker 20y bottles is a vatting of a single malt, so that makes it 'standard' to me as well.

The great thing about single cask (from mostly independent bottlers) is:
1. Either differently bottled: un-chillfiltered, undiluted (cask strength) or uncoloured.
2. Or differently finished.

Especially finishing is a gamble, it can get better or worse, but since we all have a different taste, I guess any product must suit someone's preference.

For me e.g. the latest Port finishes of Coal Ila by Signatory were great, and the Laphroaig should be even better....

The single casks are simply new exotic adventures!

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby septimuswigley » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:03 pm

While the Port Wood finish is about the only Glenmorangie I'd happily pay money for, the Talisker Amoroso Cask finish is pretty damn special.
Slightly off topic, I once did a whiskey tasting for a load of medical students - while I discussed various wood finishes I overheard one guy pipe up 'Ah, a Macallan Diamond White finish, then.'
It was difficult to finish the conversation after that.
septimuswigley

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 02, 2003 9:12 pm

Just going through this thread again I noticed Erik said he is looking forward to the refill Glengoyne Scottish oak.Sorry Erik but is a no go I'm afraid.A couple of days ago we had a Glenfarclas tasting held by Iain Weir from Ian Mcleod.I asked him how many more times they planned on using the Scottish oak casks now that they had bought Glengoyne.His reply was that when you buy a distillery you get an inventory of everything you own,and the Scottish casks were not on it and he did not know where they had gone to.On another note he did say that they may try some peated runs of Glengoyne.Tasted the 6 Isles vatted malt and really enjoyed it.
cheers Livvy
Deactivated Member

Postby Rudy » Sun May 04, 2003 9:31 am

Hello St. Peat,

of the (not so many) whiskies I have tasted, the Lagavulin and Talisker Distillers Editions are hard to beat, best integrated I ever came accross, adding a dimension to the already outstanding standard bottling.

Biggest disappointments are the Glenmorangie sherry, port and madeira finishes. I simply prefer the 10yo and Cellar 13.

Lately Signatory has released Port finishes of Laphroaig and Coal Ila in their un-chillfiltered series. I think they're delicious, the fruity accents will fit well to the coming warm and sunny days of summer.

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat May 24, 2003 3:33 pm

Hi All, has anybody tried any of the single casks offerings from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society? In the last few years they've started experimenting with cask finishes, I had a port finished Bruichladdich recently, it was stunning. I have a bottle (unopened) of the port finished Longrow which MJ described as the Godzilla of Campbeltown. I tried a sample of it a few years ago in Edinburgh, it was quite something.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder