Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What shall we have???

All your whisky related questions answered here.

What shall we have???

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:37 pm

Hi folks,

Another Poll. What's more attractive to you tasters, a single malt whisky made from various casks or whisky bottled from only a single cask???

Come on and let us know here on this site...

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby skywalker » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:34 am

hello Erik,

I had a 10 years period of drinking standard botlings. Finally I decided to move to single cask bottlings. My first experiences were really bad, you have to be very critical. From now on I try to taste a whisky at a tasting or pub before buying it. The question is where do you want to go to? The best and the worst whiskies for me were among the single cask bottling, if you want reliable qaulity: Drink standard bottlings.
skywalker

Postby Papa_Lazarous » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:28 pm

I'll have a JD plz ............. mmmmmmm, JD

visit http://www.seraphidian.co.uk/
Papa_Lazarous

Postby Nic Rhodes » Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:33 pm

Skywalker summed it well for me.

Distillery bottling for reliability, single cask for the high notes and low notes. This where is takes some time ad effort.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Tigger » Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:45 pm

Hello everybody.
Standard bottlings are great because you know what you get every time, but single cask bottlings cask can, on the other hand, go above and beyond. E.g. Talisker 25yo or Leapfrog '87 - some of these single/two cask bottlings are truly exceptional. So in short: Standard bottlings are good 'cause you know exactly what you get, but single cask bottlings can be better (if you look hard enough) - How else would you obtain old Springbank these days...
Tigger

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Huurman:
<B>Hi folks,

Another Poll. What's more attractive to you tasters, a single malt whisky made from various casks or whisky bottled from only a single cask???

Come on and let us know here on this site...

Slainte,

Erik</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tigger

Postby Rudy » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:34 pm

Hello Erik,

I agree on most if not all, what is said in the previous responses.

But a 'limited' edition of 9000 Talisker 20y bottles is a vatting of a single malt, so that makes it 'standard' to me as well.

The great thing about single cask (from mostly independent bottlers) is:
1. Either differently bottled: un-chillfiltered, undiluted (cask strength) or uncoloured.
2. Or differently finished.

Especially finishing is a gamble, it can get better or worse, but since we all have a different taste, I guess any product must suit someone's preference.

For me e.g. the latest Port finishes of Coal Ila by Signatory were great, and the Laphroaig should be even better....

The single casks are simply new exotic adventures!

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat May 24, 2003 3:33 pm

Hi All, has anybody tried any of the single casks offerings from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society? In the last few years they've started experimenting with cask finishes, I had a port finished Bruichladdich recently, it was stunning. I have a bottle (unopened) of the port finished Longrow which MJ described as the Godzilla of Campbeltown. I tried a sample of it a few years ago in Edinburgh, it was quite something.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder