Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Wife looking for suggestions

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Wife looking for suggestions

Postby tnuty » Wed May 13, 2009 3:04 pm

Hello, My husband is about to celebrate something very special, he is a Whisky & Cigar Enthusiast and I would like to give him something very special for achieving this milestone in his life. I however have no idea about anything about Whisky.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to something I can get him. There is supposed to be a tasting going on on May 30th in Cranston, RI (we live in RI) that I am trying to get more information about, but have been unsucessful.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
tnuty

Re: Wife looking for suggestions

Postby vision*R » Wed May 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Are you planning to give actual whisky or just an invitation to a tasting?

Do you know his preference? There are lots of whisky styles (scotch / bourbon, smokey, sweet, peaty, sherried...) and it's really difficult to give suggestions if we don't know at least a direction.

Also, a price range could help.
vision*R

Postby jazz lover » Wed May 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Last edited by jazz lover on Wed May 13, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Wed May 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Personally speaking, as a husband, I think that giving him tickets to the tasting event + a voucher to buy the scotch of his choice afterwards would be a great idea. This way he gets to taste first, then buy.

Just a thought!
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed May 13, 2009 6:48 pm

If you are thinking of going the cigar & whisky route (and assuming you have ready access to genuine Cuban varieties of the former), then you might wish to consider...

Large ring gauge (Canonazo): A bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh and some Cohiba Siglo VIs
Small ring gauge (Palmita): A bottle of Lagavulin Distillers Edition and some La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4s
Large format (Prominente): A bottle of the best Ardbeg you can lay your hands on (in my case, the 1977) and some Ramon Allones Gigantes

For me, these combinations have all proved quite outstanding.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed May 13, 2009 9:36 pm

I too know nothing about cigars, but my first thoughts went straight to the Aberlour A'bunadh or a Lagavulin. So I second TTD's suggestions also.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 14, 2009 1:10 am

Being in the US, she will of course not have access to Cuban cigars.

I know there is a liquor store in East Providence with a great selection of whisky...the name of it escapes me at the moment. It would probably be a good place to browse and get advice.
Deactivated Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu May 14, 2009 1:06 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Being in the US, she will of course not have access to Cuban cigars.

Some reasonably fine alternatives, then...

Arturo Fuente Opus X Power Rangers matched with a densely sherried Highland malt such as some of the Mortlach issues or the aforementioned Aberlour a'bunadh.

Carlos Toraño Signature Collection Toros. These really need an exceptionally enlivening pour alongside them. Think Ardbeg, or perhaps a cask strength Lagavulin or Laphroaig.

Carlos Toraño Tribute Churchill with a balanced, complex Highland whisky. The new Longmorn 16 Year Old (48%ABV) immediately springs to mind.

Oliva Master Blends Torpedo. Booker's Bourbon works wonders with this one.

Another pair of cigars worthy of attention comprises Perdomo's Estate Selección Vintage 1991 Regente and Padron's Serie 1964 Anniversario Imperial (the latter of which had been mentioned previously). These two are perfectly balanced in terms of their flavour profiles, and would go well with a complex, broad taste spectrum Highland malt. Glenlivet Cask Strength Nàdurra maybe?
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu May 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Not sure what your husband likes but below is store for you to check out in your endeavors.

Town Wine & Spirits Rumsford, RI 888-811-6258
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder