Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenmorangie Bitter?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenmorangie Bitter?

Postby Tightwad » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:40 pm

I just tried Glenmorangie 10yo 43% and found it to have a very bitter taste and finish. It tasted like I dumped Aspirin Powders in it. Is this indicative of Glenmorangie 10yo or did I get a bad bottle?

PS Im a newbie and this is only my fifth SMSW.
Tightwad

Re: Glenmorangie Bitter?

Postby lockejn » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:11 am

I also found the Glenmorangie 10 to have a bitter finish. One of my least favorite malts.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby blacksabb » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:36 am

lockejn wrote:I also found the Glenmorangie 10 to have a bitter finish. One of my least favorite malts.

Is that really true? Bummer! Because I changed my mind regarding Father's Day. I'm now buying myself the JW Green and I was going to get my dad a couple of other things. One of those funnily enough Glenmorangie 10yrs.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:00 pm

Hmmm, never found it to be bitter myself - more sweet but dry - some elements that remind me of a young white wine.
It can have a little bitternes on the finish but not very much. I'd suggest you put the bottle away and try it again from time to time.
It may just be something's effected your taste buds at the moment.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Tightwad » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:15 pm

CORRECTION: I would edit the original question if I could.

I dont know what happened but yesterday the Glenmorangie 10 was very bitter. After 24 hours open the bitterness is simply gone.

Palate drift? I dont know but for reference I tried it against both HP12 and Mac12 both days (With the Glenmorangie going first both times). Yesterday it was extremely bitter compared to both. Today no sign of this attribute. The only other change was a 10C increase in bottle temp. I will buy another bottle in the future to see if this phenomenon reoccurs.
Tightwad

Postby borgom » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Well temp can make a huge difference as does food.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Glenmorangie of most age and finishes can be quite spicy when first opened and round out after a few days or a week. Glenfarclas, Balvenie and many others can do the same. I attribute it to the oak tannins being released to air but I could be totally wrong and usually am. :oops:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:57 pm

My wife likes the Glemorangie 15, it's the only whisky she's ever liked (and the only Glenmo I've opened). She likes it because it's the sweetest whisky she's tried. She did try it after it had been opened for a few months though.
I've noticed that most whiskies are a bit more fierce when you first open them, but if you come back to them after a few days - or sometimes weeks - you can appreciate them a lot better. This might just be me so YMMV.
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:39 pm

I agree with Jimmi and the Chef. A little evaporation and oxidation after the opening of a bottle often calm it down quite quickly and I guess that's what happened here. I have never really associated Glenmo with bitterness. Rather I regard it as one of the sweetest of malts.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby peanutaxis » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:34 am

Echhhh, I HATE it when they go above 43% *^%$ pointless. I've only seen 40% Glenmorangie where I am.

Glenmorangie is my third favourite malt. I know what you guys mean about it having a bitter finish. It doesn't bother me but I have a hunch that it comes from the char on oak barrels - Glenmorangie being heavy on wood flavours. That's what it tastes like to me, anyway, slightly bitter carbon char.

:)
[p
peanutaxis

Postby SheltieBoy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 pm

It is one of my favorites; I have never sensed a bitter flavor. (And I am quite sensitive to bitter components.)
SheltieBoy

Postby grumpy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:39 am

Your palate changes from day to day. Glenmorangie is not bitter, its sweet ans very smooth. Try it again and you will see. :D
grumpy

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder