Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Storage Temperature

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Storage Temperature

Postby Diablo » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:52 am

I don't have a cellar and was wondering:

Does unopened whisky go bad if stored at room temperature (70 F)?

If so, how long can it last in those conditions?

Any storage tips for those without cellars?

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.
Diablo

Postby peatreek1 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:17 am

Room temperature is fine, just store bottles vertically and keep bottles out of direct sunlight.
An unopened bottle has a unlimited shelf life.
It is my opinion that openned bottles actually improve somewhat over time, but I seldom if ever, store an open bottle for more than 6 months. My practice is to only have about 6-8 bottles open at one time.
peatreek1

Postby Leonidych » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:53 am

Agree. In addition to peatreek1's message, my experience is that, due to oxidation, about half of malts improve taste in an opened bottle in one to three months. However, after a critical line of half bottle is reached, about 5% of the whiskies turn to swill. Takes about half to one year. So, if you have less than half-a-bottle, finish it ASAP!
Leonidych

Postby Shigga » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:45 am

leon, couldn't you fill them in smaller bottles? The amount of air which the whisky can react should be too small then for further ox I'd guess. The more you drink of the bottle, the more air is there in relation to the amount of Whisky. That would be fixed with smaller bottles...
Shigga

Postby Leonidych » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:19 am

Shigga,
I just recently figured the whole thing out. Yes, you are right, good idea. But pouring my whisky from one bottle into another? Smaller and smaller each time? Hm.. My strategy would rather be: start a bottle, set it aside for 2-3 weeks, enjoy it, and as soon as it hits the half, call my friends and go away with it! :wink:
Leonidych

Postby Shigga » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:38 am

I don't think you have to go smaller and smaller with the bottles. Just refill it one time in a bottle with like 0,35litre, that should suffice to preserve the original taste for quite some more time. :) I'm all for calling some friends to do away with it, the thing is you can't do that too often with the budget of a regular student like me! ;)
Shigga

Re: Storage Temperature

Postby legomyego » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:40 am

probably a dumb question but what about 45 degrees?
legomyego

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder