Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The closest to Lagavulin 16?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Lagavulin 16 Years Old

Re: The closest to Lagavulin 16?

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:52 pm

Now, the interesting bit would be the order in which you drink them!

I'd do it in three or four sessions. More might confuse your palate. Less would be less fun!

DON'T start with the Talisker because it's probably the most powerful flavourwise, and certainly alcohol-wise, at 45.8%. Dare I say you may even detect similarities to the dreaded Lagavulin 16! Or even want to try the Lag again to ccompare.

Interesting for you to try the two Macallans head to head. The "sherry" version is the one we all know and love, whereas the Fine Oak is seen as good, but less distinctive. I'd try the sherry version after the FO...

Also you may want to keep similar (eg sherry dominant - Aberlour 10; Balvenie: and Macallan) for the same session, or spread 'em for different sessions...

The Dalwhinnie, Glenmorangie, Yamazaki, Macallan FO, and Cragganmore are what I call"neutral" whiskies - excellent, but not subject to any over-bias of influence such as peat or sherry.

And the glengoyne, which I love, is known as a TOTALLY unpeated whisky!

I would put the Talisker last - it's the most unlike the others, and probably the most like the Laga...

Have fun...why not write notes? and let us know how you get on!

...oh, gforgot to mention the Glenfiddich. Me and two friends finished over half a new bottle last night. It's almost too smooth and drinkable! Really, really good IMO. And a long satisfying sweet finish. the "3 barrels" appraoach makes for an excellent whisky.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby AudriusVilnius » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:24 pm

I love this rocket science! :D

By the way, grabbed both HPs (12/18) today. Tried to search for some TDDs suggested Islay'nders, too, but The Whisky Exchange didn't have them...
AudriusVilnius

Postby Megawatt » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:35 am

If I may add to this: I hated Lagavulin 16 the first time I tried it. Couldn't get past the intense antiseptic aroma and taste. Talisker 10 was my gateway into appreciating smoky, peaty malts. After having Talisker, I could enjoy Lagavulin, Laphroaig, and the rest. I had a glass of Talisker 10 at a restaurant, and found that the smokiness was balanced out by some nice vanilla sweetness.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby AudriusVilnius » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:And the glengoyne, which I love, is known as a TOTALLY unpeated whisky!

Cragganmore 12 and Glengoyne 10 tonight... the former didn't impressed me at all (I have my notes, don't worry) but I must say I was really inspired by the latter -- flowers and horses! So tender yet wild. Indian summer, apples, stables, tea, raisins and sunset. It reminded me of JWBL...

I'll give you all my full presentation later on, after sampling my chosen dozen completely.
AudriusVilnius

Related whiskies : Lagavulin 16 Years Old

Previous

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder