Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

GASP... Whiskey Mixers

All your whisky related questions answered here.

GASP... Whiskey Mixers

Postby AdamMY » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:29 am

I've heard a fair bit about people mixing whiskey with various things, though in general on this board it is frowned upon.

But my question is what is everyones favorite whiskey and mixer combination.

Back before I could handle the full fledged 101 proof of wild turkey, I would mix it with coke, probably a 1 part WT to 2 parts coke sort of thing (no I would not use the whole can). It was exceptionally delicious, but probably not nearly as much as WT is by itself.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: GASP... Whiskey Mixers

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:14 pm

If I happen to buy a bad whisky, I won't throw it away. I will mix it with a red vermouth (Cinzano or Martini & Rossi) and make a Manhattan. (2/3 whisky + 1/3 vermouth.)

Another good mix is to take 2/3 whisky and 1/3 warmed maple syrup; this makes an excellent liqueur. You must warm the maple syrup in order for it to dissolve in the whisky.
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:11 pm

Sacrilege, I know... But I don't mind very occasionally mixing a cask strength Highlander such as Glengoyne 12 Year Old with ginger ale on a very hot day.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:14 pm

I used to drink whisky sours in college. I think because they were green :mrgreen:
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Yello to Mello wrote:Mixing a SMS or a relatively pricey blend with anything is frowned upon here and frowned upon by me.

Forty Creek is excellent by itself buy around 40-50% of the time I mix it with ginger ale if I have some around.

My rule for mixing is if the whisky costs less then $35-40 for a bottle I wont hesitate to mix. Otherwise I will mix if I really need to force a whisky down but that doesnt happen too often.

Oh I typically do not mix anything pricey, and just about never a SMS, or any single malt in that case.

But I'm just talking about when we choose to mix a whiskey what do the people on the board use for mixers?
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby andyt » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Okay I surrender, I have been known to enjoy a large JD and ice topped up with 7up when the weather is really hot, living in Aberdeen that means once every 6 years Image
andyt
Silver Member

Postby steveblack » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:35 pm

I used to drink blends with glass full of water. After switching to SMSW, I started drinking neat or with just a little water.

Now I feel, if you are going to pour more than a dash of water or ice, then you are better off with a cheaper whisky. I can't imagine whisky with anything other than water or ice.

A long time before I used to have an occasional Jack Daniels with Coke. Now that thought is hardly exciting.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby sleepypeople » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Ginger ale
sleepypeople

Postby lancj1 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:40 pm

I always have a cheap "scotch" in for mixers. Supermarkets own or High Commisioner of late. Only mix with ginger ale and ice for my own consumption.

Thinking about this more, I realise if I get a better blend, as a gift usually, I take it with ice, and malts neat or with a touch of water.

Thats a routine thats just developed without much thought
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby Megawatt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:58 am

One drink I was enjoying in the summer was Catto's Rare blended Scotch with ginger ale, lots of ice, and a healthy squeeze of lemon. Very refreshing, with a nice hint of smoke.

Crown Royal and ginger ale is also a fantastic summer drink. I find that Crown has a flavour which stands out enough from the ginger ale without clashing at all.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby ClubSmed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:59 pm

Laphroaig 10yo and ginger ale is very nice if forced to take a mixer (as I was on one cocktail night)
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:52 am

Water, and not very much. As a bit of 'diehard I tend to sample the dram first and then add a wee bit of water to the crature.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder