Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cadenheads Back in US?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Cadenheads Back in US?

Postby bcrossan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:04 am

I got word from one of my local liquor stores that Preiss Imports is going to be importing Cadenhead bottlings to the US again. I know in TX these have not been available for a while and I am pretty sure that is the same with the rest of the country. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
bcrossan
Silver Member

Re: Cadenheads Back in US?

Postby jmrl » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:04 am

I'll get back to you with this but its news to me, then again I often hear stuff from outside the company first. Could be the revitalised 46% 'Duthies' range, hmm.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:53 am

Single Cask Cadenhead's would be a more than welcome sight in the US again.

:thumbsup:
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:36 pm

lohssanami wrote:Single Cask Cadenhead's would be a more than welcome sight in the US again.

:thumbsup:

Agreed! :thumbsup:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Ol' Jas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:59 am

Did these ever show? I haven't seen them around here (Madison, WI), but they'd be a welcome sight.

The Campbeltown district of my collection includes a Springbank 100 proof, a Glen Scotia 12, a Kilkerran WIP, a "poured from the cask in a Cadenhead's shop" bottle, and a Duthies 46%. The Duthies is king.
Ol' Jas

Postby jmrl » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:00 am

Which Duthies have you got? Which store did you visit?
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Ol' Jas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 pm

It's a Duthies Campbeltown with no distillery declared and NAS. 46%, no chill filter. Organge label.

I got it from the Cadenhead's shop on Edinburgh's Royal Mile in May 2010 and have been nursing it ever since. The shopkeeper recommended it, adding that he had just given a gift of the same to his father-in-law. "Totally decent stuff," was his summary, as I recall.
I'm no Cambeltown expert, but I love 'em and I think this is the best I've had. I'd really love to see it stateside.
Ol' Jas

Postby jmrl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:14 am

That was me. It's still good stuff.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Ol' Jas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Wow! What a funny little chance. And I probably wouldn't believe it if you didn't have the profile and post history on this site to show it's true.

With all the folks coming through your shop, I can't expect you to remember one random Yank from 2+ years ago, but I remember you! For me, it was a great moment on an exceptionally great trip. You generously poured some samples from the casks behind the counter, one of which was my first-ever taste of Campbeltown. What an eye-opener! All the Campbeltown bottles I named above (which the Duthies stands out from) have been special-occasion gifts from the wife since that day.
Her: "Honey, it's Father's Day coming up. Anything special you'd like?"
Me: "Campbeltown whisky!"

We also hit up Feis Ile on Islay before returning home from that trip, and I begrudged not the spot in my luggage taken up by Duthies instead of a festival bottling. (Though I can't say the same for the spot that was taken up by a Loch Lomond.)

So, thanks!
And I don't suppose there's any chance you can reveal anything more about mystery contents of that Duthies? Though really, I believe it's a vatted malt, and it wouldn't take TOO much guessing to land on the Campbeltown distilleries that must have gone into it. : )

Cheers,
~Jason
Ol' Jas

Postby jmrl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Jason,

I sometimes surprise myself with memory - it's not unusual to remember a customer from years ago and what they bought - I don't know what makes me remember some and not others. I told my new colleague about the phenomena- he has discovered it's true- you remember the bottle before the person - we shoiuld get out more really.

The Campbeltown is a 'blended' malt, there arre only three Campbeltown distilleries and we 'own' two of them. Also a mere drop of one malt in a million litres of another makes the mix a blended malt.

Springbank can have remarkable maturity and relatively low age while also wearing the prolnged maturation periods very well. The young stuff is just a bit cheaper.

We've shifted importers so ask your local store if they have a supplier - in the states we're best known for our gin Old Raj. Good luck. It was father's day here last week, I was chuffed to get a Cadenheads Heaven Hill Bourbon 15yo - the only whisky in the house!

Cheers.
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder