Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dubai Airport

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Dubai Airport

Postby boyd johnson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:07 pm

anyone advise if there are any interesting bottles available
boyd johnson

Re: Dubai Airport

Postby steveblack » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:48 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12760

Above thread was started by me. First two posts of mine in that thread more or less lists most of the SMSW available there (except Nadurra).

There are also your usual blends, bourbons and some premium ones like JW Blue, Glenmorangie Signet, Banff CS, Glenlivet XXV & Archive 21,Aberfeldy 21, Macallan Estate.

HTH. These are at terminal 3, I haven't used other terminals in a long while, so not sure.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby boyd johnson » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:21 pm

thanks for the link steve,any idea on the more exotically priced bottles.
boyd johnson

Postby steveblack » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:42 am

I am afraid not many. When I wrote exotic prices, I meant whiskies over $100-150 :oops:

The ones I mentioned (JW Blue 3 types , Glenmorangie Signet, Banff CS, Glenlivet XXV & Archive 21,Aberfeldy 21, Macallan Estate.) are I believe the most expensive ones you can find there. I may have missed couple of the expensive ones because I do not bother to look if price is beyond my target.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby boyd johnson » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:32 pm

thanks anyway
boyd johnson

Postby Alsiam » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:36 pm

If you go to the Emirates-only terminal (you can walk there from the other terminal) there is a nice standalone French wine and spirits shop which has many interesting and rare/high-end whiskies

Also, Dubai duty free itself has a nice selection of single malts in that terminal, including some Douglas Laing OMC and Old and Rare bottlings. Think I saw a single cask Brora last time I was there
Alsiam

Postby steveblack » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Alsiam wrote:If you go to the Emirates-only terminal (you can walk there from the other terminal) there is a nice standalone French wine and spirits shop which has many interesting and rare/high-end whiskies

Also, Dubai duty free itself has a nice selection of single malts in that terminal, including some Douglas Laing OMC and Old and Rare bottlings. Think I saw a single cask Brora last time I was there

That's news to me. You mean a independent French wine shop selling rare high end whiskies? Is this shop not part of Duty free? Emirates is Terminal 3, so is it arrival or in departure? I have to search for it.

I don't remember seeing any Douglas Laing OMC or Brora recently inside the DDF. I will check. Thanks!
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby Alsiam » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:12 am

steveblack wrote:
Alsiam wrote:If you go to the Emirates-only terminal (you can walk there from the other terminal) there is a nice standalone French wine and spirits shop which has many interesting and rare/high-end whiskies

That's news to me. You mean a independent French wine shop selling rare high end whiskies? Is this shop not part of Duty free? Emirates is Terminal 3, so is it arrival or in departure? I have to search for it.

I don't remember seeing any Douglas Laing OMC or Brora recently inside the DDF. I will check. Thanks!

I just checked and it's "Le Clos" between gates 214 and 215 in Terminal 3. I only now realise it's actually part of MMI; so their French-style branding certainly does a good job

The OMC is in one of the main duty-free liquor areas (I think it's the one near Le Clos rather than on the other side) but not placed with the standard single malts. Last time I was there it was nearer to the high-end JW and the white spirits. Look around though, as there was a nice selection worth checking out :)
Alsiam

Postby steveblack » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks, That's great!

I do remember scouring the white spirits area of DDF on departure. Anyway, good find. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to check them out! 8)
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby Alsiam » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:29 pm

To bring up an old topic.. I was in Dubai airport today and they told me a new high end spirits bar/shop is opening in a week. It's from Diageo, and the staff will be well trained on product knowledge etc. You can try whatever catches your eye in a bar environment and then buy a bottle

Called the Emporium I think. I'll be checking it out in 10 days or so and will report
Alsiam

Postby steveblack » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:41 am

Alsiam wrote:To bring up an old topic.. I was in Dubai airport today and they told me a new high end spirits bar/shop is opening in a week. It's from Diageo, and the staff will be well trained on product knowledge etc. You can try whatever catches your eye in a bar environment and then buy a bottle

Called the Emporium I think. I'll be checking it out in 10 days or so and will report

That's good news. Hope they don't limit it to their own range. BTW, been to Le Clos a few times since you told me. Thanks for that.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby Alsiam » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:47 pm

So I went to the new Emporium shop/bar today. They were having a grand opening ceremony for the bar but unfortunately it was scheduled 3 hours after my flight.

Anyway, it's basically a very nice showcase for all the high-end Diageo/MH brands. Bottles are nicely displayed and have a little bit about the brand printed next to them The assistant was fairly well-informed and was explaining to me the differences between the "John Walker" Blue Label Edition (the highest of all the JW editions, created from whiskies manufactured using only methods around during his lifetime - coal fired stills etc I imagine) and the more common or garden KGV Blue Label (from "ghost distilleries", he explained).

The bar which was about to open had bottles of most of the regular high-end stuff ready to serve, and the plan is to also offer one of the super premium products as a special feature each month.

I'm sure this will be a solid addition to the airport, but it's not a game changer
Alsiam

Postby steveblack » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks for the head up. Need to check in early next time :)

Hope they will stock Talisker 18, Caol Ila CS which are not with the duty free.

Here is the report with pics.

http://www.moodiereport.com/document.ph ... c_id=26018
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby muzna21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 am

steveblack wrote:Thanks for the head up. Need to check in early next time :)

Hope they will stock Talisker 18, Caol Ila CS which are not with the duty free.

Here is the report with pics.

http://www.moodiereport.com/document.ph ... c_id=26018

I could be wrong but somewhere I heard that the supplies on the Dubai Airport are limited.
muzna21

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder