Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Kilchoman 2010 Summer

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Re: Kilchoman 2010 Summer

Postby Yello to Mello » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:54 pm

In Ontario we got 300 cases that were released last Saturday. Not US bottlings though however they are retailing for $35 CAD! For that price they are going pretty fast so if you have a source or reason to be in Ont. you might be able to do a quick one. If its being released there at similar prices they might be going fast as well.
Yello to Mello

Postby Leorin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:02 am

$65 is still a little cheaper than what we have to pay in europe for the Kilchoman summer release, and our bottles only contain 700ml. :o
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby MacLlyr » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 am

What do you guys think of the Kilchoman? It sounds interesting to me but I see it is very very young. How is the peat and smoke as compared to other Islay malts? My second son was born in the summer of 2010 and I was planning to buy a bottle for him to hold for awhile and drink with him when he comes of age. Would this be worthy of such a sit in the cellar so to speak?
MacLlyr

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:58 pm

I'd have to say it represents a solid, if not a great, Islay offering... The quality of the distillate itself is spot-on (as expected), and the balance between the fruit-like sweetness and peat (some have remarked that the latter possesses a somewhat distinctive, earthy, farm-like aspect, and I'd have to agree with this assessment) is well-nigh perfect. Don't go looking for any significant underlying complexity, though. It's just not there. And why should it be present in such a young whisky, after all? In short, a very pleasurable dram more appropriate as an aperitif or an afternoon sort of pour.

As the stocks of resting Kilchoman attain greater maturity, I firmly believe we're in for some truly outstanding bottlings.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder