Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Kilchoman 2010 Summer

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Kilchoman 2010 Summer

Postby lockejn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:10 pm

I see Binny's now has the first official US release of Kilchoman in stock. Anyone know how many bottles were sent across the pond?

I'd love to pick one up, but I'm not quite ready to spend the money yet. Trying to figure out if it's likely to still be available 3-4 weeks from now.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Re: Kilchoman 2010 Summer

Postby Yello to Mello » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:54 pm

In Ontario we got 300 cases that were released last Saturday. Not US bottlings though however they are retailing for $35 CAD! For that price they are going pretty fast so if you have a source or reason to be in Ont. you might be able to do a quick one. If its being released there at similar prices they might be going fast as well.
Yello to Mello

Postby lockejn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Yello to Mello wrote:In Ontario we got 300 cases that were released last Saturday. Not US bottlings though however they are retailing for $35 CAD! For that price they are going pretty fast so if you have a source or reason to be in Ont. you might be able to do a quick one. If its being released there at similar prices they might be going fast as well.

It's listed here at $65 which isn't unreasonable, but certainly not the steal you're getting in Ontario! If I could get it for that price I'd probably buy two. . .
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Leorin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:02 am

$65 is still a little cheaper than what we have to pay in europe for the Kilchoman summer release, and our bottles only contain 700ml. :o
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby MacLlyr » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 am

What do you guys think of the Kilchoman? It sounds interesting to me but I see it is very very young. How is the peat and smoke as compared to other Islay malts? My second son was born in the summer of 2010 and I was planning to buy a bottle for him to hold for awhile and drink with him when he comes of age. Would this be worthy of such a sit in the cellar so to speak?
MacLlyr

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:58 pm

I'd have to say it represents a solid, if not a great, Islay offering... The quality of the distillate itself is spot-on (as expected), and the balance between the fruit-like sweetness and peat (some have remarked that the latter possesses a somewhat distinctive, earthy, farm-like aspect, and I'd have to agree with this assessment) is well-nigh perfect. Don't go looking for any significant underlying complexity, though. It's just not there. And why should it be present in such a young whisky, after all? In short, a very pleasurable dram more appropriate as an aperitif or an afternoon sort of pour.

As the stocks of resting Kilchoman attain greater maturity, I firmly believe we're in for some truly outstanding bottlings.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:35 pm

I agree with TTD's assessment, and would add the following items for consideration.

I believe this is the first Kilchoman release to be matured exclusively in bourbon barrels. That makes for something a bit different from the other bottlings - not sure how that landscape will look 18-21 years from now, though.

As suggested, it's quite a good dram, but not a mind-blower. 18-21 years from now, though, it'll be an extremely rare bottle, and almost certainly a collectors item. How often do you get to peek back in time like that? What did Lagavulin's earliest whisky taste like? Talisker? I think that makes it pretty special regardless of how good it really is. Might be fun to compare it with a contemporary bottle or two when the time comes.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder