Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bruichladdich Infinity

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Bruichladdich Infinity

Postby prholland » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

Hi, I am a relative novice at this whisky game, and a few years ago tasted the Bruichladdich Infinity first edition. There has been plenty of good stuff been quaffed since then, but I have not been able to find anything with the same qualities as the Infinity. The second edition didn't have quite the intensity, and the third has been reviewed as almost over-peaty. Given the first edition is now getting rare, and expensive, can anyone offer any advice on alternatives with similar qualities. Many thanks. PR.
prholland

Re: Bruichladdich Infinity

Postby Ganga » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:04 pm

The problem is that you are looking at Bruichladdich. The powers that be at the distillery believe that everything needs to be finihsed in some kind of wine cask and that each new batch of XXX must be finished in a different type of wine cask. If you have the specs on the Infinity, look for another Bruichladdich finished in the same kinds of wine casks.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Douglas » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:12 pm

The first Infinity was 100% Refill Sherry casks and was widely reported to include some young Port Charlotte. Like you I enjoyed it a lot and I haven't had anything quite like it since. It had power without being a full blown sherry or peat monster.

I suspect it would be difficult to recreate now based on their stocks.

As I said, I can't recommend anything identical but you might want to try a dram of Talisker Distillers Edition, or if you're open to an experiment, try a dram of Aberlour a'bunadh with a few drops of an Islay peaty. Going the other way towards peat, you could try the Ardbeg Uigeadail which has sherry but a lot more peat!

None of these will match the Infinity but they might help identify what it was about the Infinity you really miss.
Douglas

Postby prholland » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks guys, the info on the cask types is fascinating. Looks like I've got a lot to learn. It won't be a unpleasurable experience though! Thanks also for the tips on alternatives, I'll give them a go.
prholland

Postby corbuso » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:29 pm

I also really enjoyed the first one. Afterwards, they added some amounts of very young Octomore and they were not as balanced as the first one.
The closest one might the PC5, but this is probably more difficult to find than the infinity ...
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby igneous » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Yes each Infinity release is a tad different but still in the same concept range - the distinctive "walking/jumping the fence" split between tempered peat and sherry... The 3rd edition is quite yummy. I find the Infinities to be far superior than much of the other Brookies that are out. The PC series is grand as well. Different profile than Infinity overall but I can see where a particular release might match up somewhat - I did not have the PC5. Part of the marketing approach is to slightly vary the release each time for comparison purposes (and sales of course). Gives you something to look forward too (IMHO) or to be cranky about when you want release-over-release consistency. When you find your "cracker" though - need to lay down the cash for multiple bottles... :)
igneous

Postby johan brugge » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:50 am

I've had the 2nd edition (Rioja finish) and I really liked it. Last year I tasted a sample of the 3rd edition and I like that one as well, although I think it's very different from the 2nd edition. I'm about to buy the 1st edition. If I do and when I open it I will let you know what I think of it.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder